Comments on my physics PhD applicant profile

• Admissions
  • Thread starter thematrix1101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
thematrix1101
Hello! As I nervously wait to hear back from my physics PhD applications, I thought it would be helpful to see what you guys think of my profile and the schools I applied to.

Note: I am a senior undergrad and will be graduating this upcoming summer. Domestic applicant.

Research Field: Quantum information/hardware, experimental condensed matter

Undergrad Institution: Large R1 state school (top 30 in physics)

GPA: 3.53 overall (after Fall semester, 3.47 when I sent the applications), 3.38/3.3 in major
My GPA is mainly brought down from intro physics and math courses in first two years. I had all As and two B+ in junior-senior year and upper level physics courses.

Research:
  1. Research assistant in a superconducting quantum systems laboratory for more than 2 years now. I did a lot of microwave engineering projects to develop our lab's pulse control system for qubit experience. I was selected for prestigious Honors thesis program of my department and currently working on my thesis project (experimentally probing superconducting properties of materials using superconducting circuits).
  2. NSF REU at a small private university in condensed matter physics (summer of junior year). My project involved nanofabrication of devices for experimentally studying the Quantum Hall Effect in graphene. I gained a ton of extremely crucial experimental skills for my field, as well as presented a poster on my research at the end of summer symposium of the host institution and the APS Mid-Atlantic conference.
  3. Worked for a semester on a computational physics project towards the beginning of my undergrad, but nothing substantial or noteworthy except some programming and data analysis.
Other experiences:
  1. Laboratory assistant at my institution's physics lecture hall for 2.5 years now (10 hours/week). Built, set up, and fixed physics demonstrations for university lectures, as well as doing several physics shows for the public.
  2. Network Administrator for the Society of Physics Students (SPS). Developed a student-run network cluster for the physics department.
  3. Learning Assistant for a physics laboratory course and peer mentor for SPS.
Recommendations: Expecting pretty strong (or at least good) recommendation letters. Two letters from my research advisors (research #1 and #2), one from professor of 400-level quantum computing course, one from supervisor of lab assistant job (other experiences #1). All letter writers have degrees from reputable institutions (two with PhDs from Ivy Leagues and pretty well-known in their fields).

PhD programs applied to (all in my current field):
  • University of Delaware (met with faculty member of interest during conference, toured his lab)
  • Rutgers University (strong interest from faculty member)
  • Stony Brook University
  • Penn State University
  • New York University (met with faculty member who is close with my one of my research advisors and had substantial discussions)
  • University of Maryland
  • University of Pennsylvania (utilized and received certifications from their nanofabrication facility during REU)
  • Cornell University (research advisor is PhD alumni)
  • Yale University
Additional information:
  • South Asian male
  • Moved to the US in high school
  • First generation college student, low-income household

Any comments and feedback will be much appreciated! Particularly interested to know how competitive my profile is and if the range of schools are appropriate given my credentials.

Physics news on Phys.org
They look like reasonable matches. The "hooks" for undergraduate admissions you describe will make little to no difference for admissions. Citizenship status may, as many universities treat internationals differently.

Likes thematrix1101
Vanadium 50 said:
They look like reasonable matches. The "hooks" for undergraduate admissions you describe will make little to no difference for admissions. Citizenship status may, as many universities treat internationals differently.
even the connections/meetings with faculty of interest?

I am a US citizen, so hopefully that helps.

thematrix1101 said:
even the connections/meetings with faculty of interest?
I don't understand the question. Are suggesting that you are less likely to get admitted because of this? Huh? Or do you mean that your research is so stupendous that you will automatically get in. No, that won't happen.

OP: In a previous thread, you asked for feedback prior to submitting your applications. That had value since there was opportunity to rectify some deficiencies. But at this point, what's done is done: there is no further opportunity to rectify any residual deficiencies. Nothing that anyone posts here will change the outcomes. So you might as well concentrate on getting the most out of the rest of your senior year.

Likes Vanadium 50, gwnorth and berkeman