Applied math or mechanical engineering

In summary, the individual is a physics and applied math double major considering applying to grad schools in the fall. They are interested in studying applied math or engineering, but are concerned about job opportunities with an applied math degree. Their favorite classes include mathematical modeling, DEs, linear algebra, PDEs, and mechanics. They do not want to pursue physics due to a dislike of experiments and theoretical courses. The individual is considering computational fluid mechanics and is unsure if a degree in engineering or applied math would provide more job opportunities. They are also concerned about the required math GRE for applied math grad schools. It is recommended that they pursue a masters in mechanical engineering, which would complement their studies and provide opportunities for both theoretical and experimental work. Collaboration with
creepypasta13
i'm currently a physics and applied math double major considering applying to grad schools next fall. i plan on going to graduate school to study applied math or engineering. I'm worried that not too many companies will want someone with an applied math degree who studied modeling.

my favorite classes are mathematical modeling (we used modeling techniques to problems in population dynamics and traffic flow), DEs, linear algebra, and PDEs, mechanics (oscillators in particular).

i don't want to do physics since i hate experiments and hands on work. i also found quantum to be too theoretical. for instance, on the midterms, i often got the conceptual probs wrong but the math-related probs right. this has been the case for all my physics classes, even the lower divs, which is why i think mechE might be too 'practical' for me

is it MUCH easier to find jobs in, say, aerospace or mechanical engineering with a MS in engineering than applied math?

i've been looking into computational fluid mechanics since it seems to use physics and applied math

i haven't taken any ME classes, but plan on taking heat transfer and fluid mechanics next semester

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone with input into this?

i've heard that there's more opportunities if i do CFD in applied math than in mechanical engineering, if i look outside the engineering industry for jobs. but I'm likely to lean towards engineering jobs. also, for applied math grad schools, the math GRE is required. but doesn't that require knowledge of abstract algebra and topology and other proof-based math classes? I've only taken linear algebra, Fourier analysis, real analysis, and half of abstract algebra (dropped it midway through the semester)

I think a masters in mechanical engineering would round out your studies well. In mechanical engineering, I think CFD, FEA, and 3D solid modelling may work well for you.

Even in engineering things can get quite theoretical, but there is a greater chance that you will be combining theory with some experiments that you may have to setup.

OTOH, applied mathematicians seem to collaborate with departments that tend to do experimental work on the system being modeled, in which case you might have a greater chance of doing the modeling work without the experimental side.

The specifics can only be found out once you start talking to professors. It will depend on the type of research they are doing. The boundaries of engineering, physics, and mathematics can sometimes be blurred.

As an extreme example, there are people in the mech. eng faculty here that are working on measure theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measure_theory), a traditionally very pure mathematical subject.

1. What is the difference between applied math and mechanical engineering?

Applied math is the application of mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems, while mechanical engineering is the application of physics and advanced math to design and manufacture mechanical systems.

2. What kind of jobs can I get with a degree in applied math or mechanical engineering?

With a degree in applied math, you can work in fields such as data analysis, operations research, and financial modeling. With a degree in mechanical engineering, you can work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

3. Is applied math or mechanical engineering more challenging?

This is subjective and depends on your strengths and interests. Both fields require strong mathematical skills and critical thinking, but mechanical engineering also involves hands-on design and problem-solving.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree in both applied math and mechanical engineering?

Yes, there are programs that offer dual degrees in applied math and mechanical engineering. However, it may require additional time and coursework to complete both degrees.

5. How can applied math and mechanical engineering benefit society?

Applied math can help solve real-world problems in various fields, such as healthcare, economics, and climate change. Mechanical engineering can improve the design and efficiency of machines and systems, making them safer and more sustainable for society.