1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying for PhDs -- Advice wanted

1. May 5, 2015 #1
    I've applied for a few PhD's and was accepted on two of them but the funding didn't come through. The remaining one I am awaiting an interview which may never happen.

My question is, the majority of PhD's in the UK seem to have a deadline date of 6th May (Tomorrow) and the deadline for application for the majority of finance from sponsors has has also passed, so where does that leave me?

Could someone advise me of how easy (or possible) it is to get on a fully funded PhD later in the year i.e once the results from the BSc have been released? How is it in the US? Are there PhD's readily available over there all year round?

If I get a high grade then will there be PhD positions that still need filling?

Starting to get a bit worried as don't want to be in the position where I have to wait a year to be able to start applying again.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you are willing to check continental Europe, then there might be more PhD positions available. For example, in my country, it suffices to find an advisor who has enough funds and who is willing to take you as their student. This can happen anytime, not necessarily now.

4. May 6, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Would certainly consider elsewhere in Europe. I'll look into it thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook