Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying physics against a noise problem

1. May 21, 2007 #1
    Hi, first of all, excuse my very poor english

I have a big problem with a bar in front of my window, in the middle of a little park. They close very late (ignoring the closing hour stablished by the law) and they make a horrible noise. Here (in Spain), there is very passivity applying the anti-noise laws, and I decided to counter-attack with the same weapons...

I want to build a device to emit a sound cone in a controlled area with intensity and frequency so that it can be enough disturbing (and harmless!) to "convince" people stop making noise so late and go home. The persons are in a 30 meters radius.

The question is very simple: I don't ask you to tell me a step-by-step guide about constructing the device (anyway...this would be nice!) but only if this is feasible, and the possible difficulties building this device.

Thanks in advance!!

PD: I am mathematician, so I think I can understand some science language.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, it's not practical. It would just be a step in an escalating noise war, with the many people (them) able to step it up each time against the one (you).

Instead, I'd look into quieting your environment, at least until you can move to a better place. Earplugs work fairly well, but even better are the noise cancelling headphones from manufacturers like Bose. You can even play music through them, and the outside noise is gone.

I know it's a hassle, but it's your most practical and immediate solution until moving becomes practical.

Wow, a bit pricey, though...

http://www.bose.com/controller?even...ct=mwr_qc3_qc2_mp3_q1_08&intcmp=USB00007&ck=0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?