1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Applying to Cambridge university

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    hello.

I'm thinking about continuing my studies at Cambridge University after i obtain bachelor degree equivalent,
    and i have few questions about that university.

How good you have to be, to get to Cambridge? high level of understand of knowledge lectured during bachelor studies, being active in scientific circle, having single research on my account - is this enough? Or is this more like required minimum? Will this at least guarantee invitation for interview?

question no. 2 - cost of living. What options do i have, if im not from UK ? From where can i get money, and what requirements i have to meet? Is this even possible to study there witchout having rich parents ( i'm talking about graduate studies)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2
    Hi

Where are you studying at the minute? You don’t mention which country you are in.

As one of the top universities in the UK, you have to be pretty good. The minimum entry requirements are an upper second class UK degree, which, in American terms, is a GPA of about 3.3 – 3.6. However, due to the competition for places, a first class UK degree, or GPA of about 3.6 – 4.0 would stand a better chance.

There are no guarantees for an interview, and having previously published work is not necessary (though it wouldn’t hurt either). They tend to look for additional things on the applications, such as what you do in your spare time, whether you take part in clubs or organize events.

There was an interview with someone from the Cambridge selection panel in a UK magazine a few months ago. She said that while the academic qualifications are important, the personality of the person is as well. She said she had picked someone for a place with a 2:1 degree rather than someone else with a 1st, as their personality was better, and they showed more willingness to learn.

The cost of living will vary depending on where exactly you stay and what you do. If you stay in the halls, then it will be about £6,000 - £7,000 per year for rent, meals, etc; see here for an example: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/454 [Broken].

There are a small number of funded positions available each year from the STFC. These give you around £15,000 for each of the three years of the PhD. Should you take longer, there is no guarantee of additional funding.

International students can also register for other forms of funding; see here: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/gradstud/funding/aid/.

One other thing is to make sure that on the application form you use the correct spelling, punctuation and grammar. This may be difficult if English is not your first language, but in this case I would get someone to check it before you send it. A poorly worded application wouldn’t stand much chance of acceptance.

Anyhow, good luck in applying. If you get in I’m sure you’ll have a great three years!

All the best,

Liam (doing an MSc at the University of Manchester)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook