1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying to grad school, how do i look?

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    Apply to a grad school (not physics, but atmospheric science or GIS) and my GPA as of now is 3.22. Took the General GRE and got a 620 math, 460 verbal :-/...
    Talk to my prof he thinks I should be able to. My GPA should Inc. due to less gen ed classes I have to take. But I don't know if I should take the GRE again. Kinda don't want to as I rather put forth that effort towards a better GPA this semester to increase that more.

Also I got a temp. employment with the national weather service so I hope that will help.

Your thoughts? I am not planning to apply to world renowned programs but more so realistic and smaller programs.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2
    I will be honest with you.

As your professor says, it definitely is possible for the programs you mentioned. Grad schools also look for your research experience, internships (and interviews, if available) so if you've had some experience in those areas, that improves your chance.

I don't think you should expect any fellowships. It will be hard for you to receive any, especially if you are a master student.

GRE doesn't play as big as GPA when it comes to admission to those programs, but if you believe that you are able to score higher provided you retake the test, I would strongly recommend retaking the GRE.

Examine closely to the school you are applying to, analyze what their criteria is. But as for your question, I would say it is still possible to get into one.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  4. Sep 10, 2007 #3
    I think you should be ok. I had similar GPA (3.29) and GRE (690/450) and got into my program just fine. Went from Physics undergrad to ME graduate. Funding will depend largely on the school you choose and the size of the department. I managed to get a full GA funding my first year.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?