Approximation with small parameter

In summary: If you expand (1 - x)^n, the first term is 1 - nx. So if you take the first term of the binomial approximation you havek⋅(1 - (e/k)^2)^(1/2) ≈ k⋅(1 - 1/2(e/k)^2) = k - (e^2)/(2k)In summary, to make an approximation such as ##\sqrt{k^2-\epsilon^2}\approx k-\frac{\epsilon^2}{2k}##, you can use the binomial approximation by pulling the k term out and expanding (1 - x)^n. The first term of this expansion gives the desired approximation.
avikarto
For some small parameter ##\epsilon##, how would one go about making an approximation such as ##\sqrt{k^2-\epsilon^2}\approx k-\frac{\epsilon^2}{2k}##? I was thinking that these types of approximations came from truncating Taylor series expansions, but I can't see how it would be obvious which parameter one would differentiate with respect to, a priori, or what value to expand about. Could someone please explain the general method for making such approximations? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
avikarto said:
For some small parameter ##\epsilon##, how would one go about making an approximation such as ##\sqrt{k^2-\epsilon^2}\approx k-\frac{\epsilon^2}{2k}##? I was thinking that these types of approximations came from truncating Taylor series expansions
More specifically, a binomial series expansion, writing ##\sqrt{k^2-\epsilon^2}## as ##(k^2 - \epsilon^2)^{1/2}##. That's where I would start.
avikarto said:
, but I can't see how it would be obvious which parameter one would differentiate with respect to, a priori, or what value to expand about. Could someone please explain the general method for making such approximations? Thanks!

You can use the binomial approximation by first pulling the k term out.

√(k^2 - e^2) = k⋅√(1 - (e/k)^2) = k⋅(1 - (e/k)^2)^(1/2)

Now look at the binomial approximation.

1. What is "approximation with small parameter"?

Approximation with small parameter is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex systems or equations by assuming that a certain variable or parameter is small compared to the others. This allows for more efficient and accurate calculations.

2. Why is "approximation with small parameter" important in science?

Approximation with small parameter is important in science because it allows for the analysis and understanding of complex systems and equations that would otherwise be too difficult to solve. It also provides a way to make predictions and draw conclusions from these systems.

3. What are the advantages of using "approximation with small parameter"?

One advantage of using approximation with small parameter is that it simplifies complex systems, making them easier to understand and analyze. It also allows for more efficient calculations and can provide insight into the behavior of the system.

4. Are there any limitations to "approximation with small parameter"?

Yes, there are limitations to approximation with small parameter. It is only applicable to systems where one parameter is significantly smaller than the others. If this is not the case, the results of the approximation may not be accurate.

5. How is "approximation with small parameter" used in scientific research?

Approximation with small parameter is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering. It is used to simplify equations and models, making them easier to analyze, and can also provide insight into the behavior of complex systems.