Arc length of y=2ln(sin(x/2)) from π/3 to π

  • Thread starter Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Arclength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
iRaid
Messages
558
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement


Find the length of the curve [itex]y=2ln(sin\frac{1}{2}x)[/itex], [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}\leq x\leq\pi[/itex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Alright so I figured out the derivative of y is cot(1/2)x so I put it into the arclength formula to get:
[tex]\int_{\frac{\pi}{3}}^{\pi} \sqrt{1+{cot^{2}(\frac{x}{2})}}dx[/tex]

But I don't know how to solve that.. Looking at wolfram it seems like a really ugly integral so I don't want to put a lot of effort into solving it if I have the integral wrong.

Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Never forget your Pythagorean identities. Divide [itex]sin^2 \theta +cos^2 \theta = 1[/itex] through by [itex]sin^2 \theta[/itex] to get [itex]1+cot^2\theta = csc^2\theta[/itex]. Just let [itex]\theta = \frac{x}{2}[/itex] and the integral simplifies greatly.
 
HS-Scientist said:
Never forget your Pythagorean identities. Divide [itex]sin^2 \theta +cos^2 \theta = 1[/itex] through by [itex]sin^2 \theta[/itex] to get [itex]1+cot^2\theta = csc^2\theta[/itex]. Just let [itex]\theta = \frac{x}{2}[/itex] and the integral simplifies greatly.

Yeah I just kept going and realized that. So I did:
u=x/2 du=1/2 dx
[tex]2\int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sqrt{1+cot^{2}u}du=2\int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\sqrt{csc^{2}u}du=2ln(cscu+cotu)|_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]
 
Yeah I finished it and evaluated, [itex]-2ln(2+\sqrt{3})[/itex]

Forgot that I knew what the integral of csc was :P. Thanks.
 
Don't forget to change your bounds after making a substitution.