1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Area of y=sin^2(x)+x^2 from 0 to 1 about x axis

1. Apr 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Set up a definite integral for the surface area generated by rotating the curve ##y= \sin^2x+x^2## from ##x=0## to ##x=1## about the a-axis.

2. Relevant equations
    Surface Area about x axis=##2 \pi y \cdot ds ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found ##\dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2 \sin x\cos x + 2x ## and ##ds= \sqrt{1+(\dfrac{dy}{dx})^2} \cdot dx ##
    Therefore I got the surface area being equal to $$ SA= 2 \pi \int_{0}^{1} (\sin^2x+x^2) \sqrt{1+(2\sin x \cos x +2x)^2} \cdot dx $$ My professor however is saying the surface area is $$ SA= 2 \pi \int_{0}^{1} (\sin^2 x +x^2) \cdot dx $$ That doesn't make any sense to me since he's clearly not using the surface area formula. I was just wondering whether or not I did this correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think your professor is having a bad day. You definitely need the derivative factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted