Surface Area of y=sin^2(x)+x^2 from 0 to 1 about x axis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Potatochip911
Messages
317
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Set up a definite integral for the surface area generated by rotating the curve ##y= \sin^2x+x^2## from ##x=0## to ##x=1## about the a-axis.

Homework Equations


Surface Area about x axis=##2 \pi y \cdot ds ##

The Attempt at a Solution


I found ##\dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2 \sin x\cos x + 2x ## and ##ds= \sqrt{1+(\dfrac{dy}{dx})^2} \cdot dx ##
Therefore I got the surface area being equal to $$ SA= 2 \pi \int_{0}^{1} (\sin^2x+x^2) \sqrt{1+(2\sin x \cos x +2x)^2} \cdot dx $$ My professor however is saying the surface area is $$ SA= 2 \pi \int_{0}^{1} (\sin^2 x +x^2) \cdot dx $$ That doesn't make any sense to me since he's clearly not using the surface area formula. I was just wondering whether or not I did this correctly.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement


Set up a definite integral for the surface area generated by rotating the curve ##y= \sin^2x+x^2## from ##x=0## to ##x=1## about the a-axis.

Homework Equations


Surface Area about x axis=##2 \pi y \cdot ds ##

The Attempt at a Solution


I found ##\dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2 \sin x\cos x + 2x ## and ##ds= \sqrt{1+(\dfrac{dy}{dx})^2} \cdot dx ##
Therefore I got the surface area being equal to $$ SA= 2 \pi \int_{0}^{1} (\sin^2x+x^2) \sqrt{1+(2\sin x \cos x +2x)^2} \cdot dx $$ My professor however is saying the surface area is $$ SA= 2 \pi \int_{0}^{1} (\sin^2 x +x^2) \cdot dx $$ That doesn't make any sense to me since he's clearly not using the surface area formula. I was just wondering whether or not I did this correctly.

I think your professor is having a bad day. You definitely need the derivative factor.