Calculating Arc Length of y=x^2 from 0 to 10 using Trig Substitution"

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
negatifzeo
Messages
66
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the arclength of the function [tex]y=x^2[/tex] when x is between 0 and 10.

Homework Equations


Arclength here is [tex]\int_{0}^{10} \sqrt{1+(2x)^2} dx[/tex]
(It's intended to be the integral from 0 to 10 of the quare root of 1+(2x)^2. My latex skills suck.)

The Attempt at a Solution


Trig substitution. 2x= tan (theta)

Integrate secant theta
Which is ln(sec(theta)+tan(theta))

Substituting theta back in for arcsin(2x)
ln(sec(arctan(2x))+tan(arctan(2x))) evaluated from 10 to 0. Solving for arctan(2x) my final answer is
ln(sqrt(1+4x^2)+2x) evaluated from 0 to 10. I know this is wrong as it is much to short of an arc length but I don't know where I went wrong. Any clues?






The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
negatifzeo said:

Homework Statement


Find the arclength of the function [tex]y=x^2[/tex] when x is between 0 and 10.

Homework Equations


Arclength here is [tex]\int_{0}^{10} \sqrt{1+(2x)^2} dx[/tex]
(It's intended to be the integral from 0 to 10 of the quare root of 1+(2x)^2. My latex skills suck.)

I've edited your post to fix your TeX.

The Attempt at a Solution


Trig substitution. 2x= tan (theta)

That's fine.

Integrate secant theta
Which is ln(sec(theta)+tan(theta))

That's not fine. Why would you integrate [itex]\sec (\theta )[/itex]?
 
Tom Mattson said:
I've edited your post to fix your TeX.



That's fine.



That's not fine. Why would you integrate [itex]\sec (\theta )[/itex]?

Well, when I use trig substitution here I change 2x to tan(theta). This changes the integrand to sqrt(1+tan^2(theta)). The trig identity says that 1 + tangent squared equals secant squared, and since it is the quare root of that it just becomes secant.
 
Oh, duh. Wait, why am I having a hard time remembering how to get the dx here? Does dx here equal 1/2*sec^2(theta) d(theta)?