Arcsin equation - getting results?

• Thread starter Sparky_
  • Start date
In summary, the equation yields arcsine values depending on z and can be handled manually using complex variables.
Sparky_
Regarding the arcsine function and the complex variables approach:

z = sin(w)

w = -i*ln(iz +/- SQRT(1-z^2))

I'm trying to plug in numbers for z and "turn the crank" and get back the angle.

Meaning, if z = 0.5, the equation should yield 0.5236 (30 degrees) and if z = 0.707, I should get 0.7854 (45 degrees).

I've tried to do this in Excel. - no luck

I was assuming the "i" terms shifted things ?perhaps by PI/2? - no combination has worked.

How does this equation yield arcsine values? How do I turn the crank and handle the "i" terms.

Thanks
Sparky_

Physics news on Phys.org
Sparky_ said:
Regarding the arcsine function and the complex variables approach:

z = sin(w)

w = -i*ln(iz +/- SQRT(1-z^2))

I'm trying to plug in numbers for z and "turn the crank" and get back the angle.

Meaning, if z = 0.5, the equation should yield 0.5236 (30 degrees) and if z = 0.707, I should get 0.7854 (45 degrees).
? My TI-83 gives 0.523598... for z= 0.5 and 0.785398... for z= sqrt(2)/2 using your formula.

I've tried to do this in Excel. - no luck

I was assuming the "i" terms shifted things ?perhaps by PI/2? - no combination has worked.

How does this equation yield arcsine values? How do I turn the crank and handle the "i" terms.

Thanks
Sparky_

I'm curious how I can implement this equation manually. (pencil and paper of sorts)

I set this up in Excel (I know this is not pencil and paper)

I have a column for radians, I have a column that takes the sin() of that coumn, than I use Excel's Arcsin() function and take the arcsin of the sin() and then I have a column using the complex variables formula w = -i*ln(iz +/- SQRT(1-z^2)).

My hope is to have the 2 columns match - the column using the actual arcsin() function and the complex var. equation.

The complex variables formula uses simple operations that could be performed manually. I'm trying to understand how to do it manually and how to deal with the "i" terms since my attempts have failed. I thought the "i" terms would simply shift things by pi/2 or something like that.

Thanks
Sparky_

1. What is the Arcsin equation?

The Arcsin equation is a mathematical formula used to find the inverse sine of a given value. It is represented as arcsin(x) or sin-1(x).

2. How do I solve an Arcsin equation?

To solve an Arcsin equation, you need to input the value of the sine into the equation and use a scientific calculator to find the inverse sine. Alternatively, you can use a table of inverse trigonometric functions to find the solution.

3. What is the domain and range of the Arcsin function?

The domain of the Arcsin function is -1 ≤ x ≤ 1, as the sine function can only take values between -1 and 1. The range of the Arcsin function is -π/2 ≤ y ≤ π/2, as the inverse sine can only take values between -90° and 90°.

4. Can the Arcsin equation give multiple solutions?

Yes, the Arcsin equation can give multiple solutions. This is because the sine function is a periodic function with a period of 2π. Therefore, there can be multiple values of x that result in the same sine value, and the Arcsin function will give all of those solutions.

5. How is the Arcsin equation used in real life?

The Arcsin equation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to find the angle of elevation or depression in trigonometric applications, such as calculating the height of a building or the angle of a satellite in space.