Are 8D Movies More Immersive Than 3D Films?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hyperspace2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    3d Movie
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
21 replies · 17K views
Hyperspace2
Messages
84
Reaction score
1
How often do you watch 8D movies ? or do you watch mostly 3D.

How many theatres are there in your locality?

My other question is

Do 8D theatres need more preparation time to load the movies ( i guess lot of weeks) than 3D(which is instantaneous)? I think 8D theatres need to prepare for every scenes in an appropriate way( for example , the way the chairs move, and the blow of air and waters).
isn't it?
Thanks for your valuable answers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ryan_m_b said:
What on Earth is 8d??
Thank you, I didn't know either.
 
Evo said:
Thank you, I didn't know either.

I've encountered 4d before at places like Disney land, essentially just interactive 3d shows but anything more makes less sense than that!
 
Hyperspace2 said:
But they have been promoting these shows as 8d

Who has? I don't doubt that a cinema would advertise this but it doesn't seem to make much sense!
 
8D movies are movies in 8 dimensions, but 6 of the dimensions are tightly rolled up and are not visible at normal energies. So they are essentially 2D movies... :biggrin:

Seriously, this looks like a scam from the cinema...
 
ryan_m_b said:
What on Earth is 8d??

It seems to be an Asian (mainly Chinese) thing. Google searches for things like "8d movies" (for which this thread is the #1 hit :!) ), "8d movie theater", "8d cinema" etc., turned up a movie theater in Kathmandu, Nepal:

http://www.citycentre.com.np/leisure-and-entertaintment

and an equipment supplier

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/8d-cinema-system.html

Step down to a mere 6D and you get a lot of equipment suppliers:

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/6d-cinema-system.html
 
jtbell said:
It seems to be an Asian (mainly Chinese) thing. Google searches for things like "8d movies" (for which this thread is the #1 hit :!) ), "8d movie theater", "8d cinema" etc., turned up a movie theater in Kathmandu, Nepal:

http://www.citycentre.com.np/leisure-and-entertaintment

and an equipment supplier

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/8d-cinema-system.html

Step down to a mere 6D and you get a lot of equipment suppliers:

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/6d-cinema-system.html

Hmm, I see some business opportunity here. Give me money, and I'll give you 10D equipment instead of the prehistoric 8D.
 
micromass said:
Hmm, I see some business opportunity here. Give me money, and I'll give you 10D equipment instead of the prehistoric 8D.

Pah no one listen to him! Give me your money and I will wrap up his 10D in an all encompassing 11D system! Watch films in HD so defined it would make God's eyes square
 
I really don't understand this 3D movie trend. If I want a totally immersive experience, I'll go outside.
 
Ben Niehoff said:
I really don't understand this 3D movie trend. If I want a totally immersive experience, I'll go outside.

If you're watching a movie that's showing what you can see in your backyard, that might be the real problem here
 
ryan_m_b said:
Pah no one listen to him! Give me your money and I will wrap up his 10D in an all encompassing 11D system! Watch films in HD so defined it would make God's eyes square

"...this one goes to eleven..." :biggrin:
 
In 8D theaters here, they explain how its 8D as follows

3 dimensions of spatial space (vision)
1 dimensions of sounds
1 dimension of time (motion)
1 dimension of shakes (they create in the floor and chair)
1 dimension of wind (they create with fans or blowers)
1 dimension of rain (they create with artificial showers)

So, it seems too easy to increase the dimension.
 
I_am_learning said:
In 8D theaters here, they explain how its 8D as follows

3 dimensions of spatial space (vision)
1 dimensions of sounds
1 dimension of time (motion)
1 dimension of shakes (they create in the floor and chair)
1 dimension of wind (they create with fans or blowers)
1 dimension of rain (they create with artificial showers)

So, it seems too easy to increase the dimension.

They forgot the dimension of fire, and what about the dimension of blowing sand and dirt on your face?!
 
That might actually be kinda cool... once or twice. There's a ride at Canada's Wonderland (been out since before I was born I think). It has a 3d screen and the chairs move. It's pretty legit, the best one I've seen was for X-Men, the effects actually scared me (I was like 10 or so). Also the 3D effect is far superior to that of recent movies (like Avatar)

Still if I wanted to go to the movies I still rather watch the good old 2D versions. I'd go to this at an amusement park though for sure, sounds sick.
 
I_am_learning said:
In 8D theaters here, they explain how its 8D as follows

3 dimensions of spatial space (vision)
1 dimensions of sounds
1 dimension of time (motion)
1 dimension of shakes (they create in the floor and chair)
1 dimension of wind (they create with fans or blowers)
1 dimension of rain (they create with artificial showers)

So, it seems too easy to increase the dimension.

Where's the dimension of smell?

I want to fully recreate my childhood experiences of cow tipping, complete to the point of going home with the aromatic reminder of everything I stepped in or puked up while traipsing drunk through the pasture.
 
BobG said:
Where's the dimension of smell?

I want to fully recreate my childhood experiences of cow tipping, complete to the point of going home with the aromatic reminder of everything I stepped in or puked up while traipsing drunk through the pasture.

For that, they have to place drunk sweaty men at periodic seating throughout the audience. Too much work for the management unless it's an "adult theatre" (and I wouldn't want to think about what other dimensions might also be added there...).

Seriously... while the experience of 3-D (or more) is interesting, I personally prefer a movie that can hold its own in 2-D. I'd rather have plot over gimmicky distraction.
 
micromass said:
8D movies are movies in 8 dimensions, but 6 of the dimensions are tightly rolled up and are not visible at normal energies. So they are essentially 2D movies... :biggrin:
Four thumbs-up! :approve:

Two are in those curled dimensions.
khemist said:
They forgot the dimension of fire, and what about the dimension of blowing sand and dirt on your face?!
:smile:
micromass said:
Or the dimension of people shooting you with guns...
:smile:
And give the audience guns to shoot back.
BobG said:
Where's the dimension of smell?
NOOOOO!