Are all centrifugal compressor big ?

In summary, a centrifugal compressor is a type of compressor that uses rotating impellers to compress air or gas. It works by accelerating the gas with impellers and then converting the kinetic energy into potential energy to increase the pressure of the gas. While many are used in industrial and commercial settings, smaller versions can also be found in household appliances. Centrifugal compressors offer high efficiency, low maintenance, and the ability to handle large volumes of gas or air, but they are not suitable for high-viscosity fluids and require a constant flow of gas to operate efficiently. They also have a limited range of compression ratios compared to other types of compressors.
couf2703
Hi,

i'm comparing differents types of compressor to find out which one I'm going to convert into a turbine for my rankine cycle projet. And I'm wondering : are centrifugal compressors only for big power because the smallest i can find is 50 hp (which is the smallest turbo of garrett). I'm looking for centrifugal comp in the range of 1 or 2 hp. anybody know something about that ?

Thanks
Fred

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my line of work, all centrifugal compressors are small. But in your case you might start looking at turbochargers.

What is a centrifugal compressor?

A centrifugal compressor is a type of compressor that uses rotating impellers to compress air or gas. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial applications to increase the pressure and flow of gases.

How do centrifugal compressors work?

Centrifugal compressors work by using a series of rotating blades, called impellers, to accelerate gas or air. The gas is then directed into a diffuser, which converts the kinetic energy into potential energy, increasing the pressure of the gas. The compressed gas is then discharged through an outlet.

Are all centrifugal compressors big?

No, not all centrifugal compressors are big. While many industrial and commercial applications require large centrifugal compressors, there are also smaller versions used in household appliances like refrigerators and air conditioners.

What are the advantages of using a centrifugal compressor?

Centrifugal compressors offer several advantages over other types of compressors, including high efficiency, low maintenance, and the ability to handle large volumes of gas or air. They are also more compact and have fewer moving parts, making them more reliable and easier to install.

Are there any limitations to using a centrifugal compressor?

While centrifugal compressors have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They are not suitable for compressing high-viscosity fluids, and they require a constant flow of gas or air to operate efficiently. They also have a limited range of compression ratios compared to other types of compressors.