Are art and science bad friends?

In summary, the conversation highlights the individual's love for both science and art, and how they can coexist and even enhance each other's creativity. They share their work and discuss how art can be a means of self-expression and a tool for communication, while science involves creative problem-solving. The conversation also touches on how some people may see art and science as opposing forces, but in reality, they can complement each other. The conversation also brings up examples of scientists with artistic talents and vice versa. Ultimately, the individual emphasizes the importance of open-mindedness and avoiding dogmatic attitudes in both art and science.
farolero
i love to do creative things that's why i love science i love to ask myself questions and try to answer

i also love to paint and sculpt, i love to try to capture thos microexprexions that render the soul of a person, here some of my work, what do you think?

IMG_20160429_201414_zpsujjnfmd0.jpg

201604292038_0001-2_zpsauvzbmay.jpg

201604292038_0001-1_zpsb6joml8h.jpg

marty_zpsmudr6voz.jpe

Sin%20ttulo18_zps8yyhfpbl.jpe

Sin%20ttulo16_zpsiebxxszu.jpe

paul_zpsnqxvfhtp.jpe

Sin%20ttulo8_zpseqibdj7t.jpe

Likes Wilson Donald Rohan, Mach_538, Mmm_Pasta and 6 others
Science news on Phys.org
Awesome! You are definitely an artist. Don't know about arts and science being bad friends. They usually couple those two together in colleges.

Likes Wilson Donald Rohan and farolero
nice drawings, i like number 5 and 3 best. regarding art and science not being friends? well i have always had an interest in science, but never managed to spend the time studying / learning the language of science (math). my life has been quite sporadic, living in several countries and having to force "restart" my life several times. so i naturally found my way to art, where i could not only experiment with new things, but also as a means of expressing myself and connecting with this world. currently i make my own visual films to go with my techno/house music mixes (for berlin style clubs), and there is a lot of science that i play with there (fractals from video feedback, polarizering filters showing colours (stress points) of plastic being backlit by an lcd screen, creating various diffraction patterns from coloured lasers, etc). science is a boundary to the medium of art, while art can be pretty much "anything".

Likes farolero
I have to say those are pretty nice, the fourth drawing from the top looks like the guy is thinking "why is this happening" lol

Likes farolero
farolero said:
i also love to paint and sculpt, i love to try to capture thos microexprexions that render the soul of a person, here some of my work, what do you think?

I think I wish I could draw as well as you!

Personally, I think of art as a communication tool. It could be friendly to science if used for good and unfriendly if not.

Likes farolero
I think they work well together. Art is about creativity, science is about creative problem solving. A lot of great scientists were also artists, in the olden days, certain fields required it. Take a look at Galileo's drawings of the moon, DeVinci's drawings of human anatomy... the amount of detail and precision is unreal for the time.

Here's one of mine
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12994532_10100809105917536_5437147564429747724_n.jpg?oh=41207254d3579831511412c19b878b37&oe=58E872FB

Likes Sonira, collinsmark, cnh1995 and 6 others
newjerseyrunner said:
Here's one of mine
In particular I like the colours a lot, there are so many "greens". What kind of technique did you use? As a layman I cannot see this from the photograph.

Likes farolero
Krylov said:
In particular I like the colours a lot, there are so many "greens". What kind of technique did you use? As a layman I cannot see this from the photograph.
I paint by doing a base layer in my "black" which I think in this picture was actually Prussian blue. I draw all the major shapes with it. Then I used extremely thin paint to make many layers of semi-opaque paint. I place a piece of cardboard behind my canvas to soak up extra thinner so that the ultra thin paint doesn't erase what's already there. I did this one as a study in how to make subtle hues with a minimal palette. I think there is Prussian blue, sap green, cadmium yellow, and titanium white in there and nothing else.

Likes Sonira, farolero and S.G. Janssens
Art and science aren't counterpoints to one another. It's perfectly possible and common to find scientists with artistic talent and artists with scientific hobbies. Often the two will meet, like when artists are inspired by the latest scientific/technological developments. Going the other way the simple skills of creating engaging and informative illustrations for papers is a great talent for a scientist to have IMO.

Likes Sonira, StatGuy2000, farolero and 1 other person
Some of most creative people I've ever met in academia were in the physics and math departments. Some of the most unimaginative and dull have been in the arts and music departments. At our annual math department picnic you usually see at least 2 guitars show up.

Likes Sonira
I know a lot of people who do artistic as well as science. I'm a PhD student in physics and I like to play music and I do art in various mediums. Below is a drawing of my friend's electric guitar and he is a PhD student in astronomy. I also know a lot of people in my department who play music. I also have a friend who works in making films and he knows quite a bit of science. Richard Feynman also did quite a bit of art.

electric guitar.jpg

Likes Wilson Donald Rohan and dkotschessaa
I like poetry as an art form, and I've writren a few about physics. Here's one of mine:

StringsThe fabric of spacetime is woven from string
Tiny vibrations from which particles spring
John was right for in the beginning
The Word is the sound of the Cosmos singing

His divine energy is the source
Of the fundamental force
Which in a matter of course
Gives rise to all four

Gravity strong electric and weak
Unified forces physicists seek
General relativity explains gravity
Quantum mechanics the other three

Strings are the things
That unite all four
Into a cosmic symphony

Likes Sonira
i did this:

toro.jpg

Likes Mmm_Pasta
i think art and science its the very same thing its just the fanatics who harm science holding dogmatic positions no open to discussion, like these guys:

_81577467_buddhas_pair.jpg

to make my point stronger and so you realize your no different than them i took the liberty in the last two hours to make these original pieces that ill be only be posting here making sure that if a dishonest action is taken them theyre forever lost to mankind

the infinite room:

IMG_20170205_033847_zpsccv3xme4.jpg

and reaching forever and ever:

IMG_20170205_034020_zpsxn2oqtz4.jpg

Art and Science are certainly not bad friends to each other.

Leonardo Da Vinci!
A statement or discussion from Neil De Grasse Tyson about his experience when studying Art! (Try an internet search).
Some use of Perspective in the History of drawing-painting!
The usefulness of Timing in music!

EDIT: Rewording for clarity

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up , ill be checking that :)

check this pic and tell me if your brain doesn't make click, like is the matrix?
Vanishing_Venice_-_Patrick_Hughes.jpg

IMG_20170205_233017_zpscpidp9rl.jpg

Last edited:
el gato isidoro said:
i think art and science its the very same thing its just the fanatics who harm science holding dogmatic positions no open to discussion, like these guys:

_81577467_buddhas_pair.jpg

to make my point stronger and so you realize your no different than them i took the liberty in the last two hours to make these original pieces that ill be only be posting here making sure that if a dishonest action is taken them theyre forever lost to mankind

the infinite room:

IMG_20170205_033847_zpsccv3xme4.jpg

and reaching forever and ever:

IMG_20170205_034020_zpsxn2oqtz4.jpg
can you explain reaching forever and ever? I don't understand it, thanks

Likes Wilson Donald Rohan
Here is a brief article on Ramón y Cajal's neurobiological drawings and how they helped establish neurons as important functional units in the nervous system.

Here is the annual Biotechniques http://www.biotechniques.com/news/biotechniquesNews/biotechniques-365581.html#.WLTb0twan6D (biologists rather than physicists (come on guys make a song contest!)) of mostly parodies of songs with science lyrics.

I like this one best.

farolero said:
i love to do creative things that's why i love science i love to ask myself questions and try to answer

IMG_20160429_201414_zpsujjnfmd0.jpg

201604292038_0001-2_zpsauvzbmay.jpg

201604292038_0001-1_zpsb6joml8h.jpg

marty_zpsmudr6voz.jpe

Sin%20ttulo18_zps8yyhfpbl.jpe

Sin%20ttulo16_zpsiebxxszu.jpe

paul_zpsnqxvfhtp.jpe

Sin%20ttulo8_zpseqibdj7t.jpe
Nice work

Twenty posts and no obligatory Feynman and the flower video?

Likes BillTre
7-19-13 Casey as Model.jpg
My science glow show.

Attachments

• 7-19-13 Casey as Model.jpg
    7-19-13 Casey as Model.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 546
Likes BillTre

1. What is the relationship between art and science?

The relationship between art and science is complex and often debated. While they are distinct disciplines, both involve a creative and systematic approach to understanding the world around us. Some argue that they are complementary, as both use observation, experimentation, and imagination to explore and explain our universe. However, others believe that they have fundamentally different goals and methods, making them "bad friends" in a sense.

2. Can art and science work together?

Yes, art and science can work together in many ways. In fact, there are numerous examples of successful collaborations between artists and scientists, such as using art to communicate scientific concepts or using scientific tools and techniques to create art. However, the degree to which they can work together effectively may vary depending on the specific disciplines and individuals involved.

3. How do art and science differ?

Art and science differ in their goals, methods, and approaches. While art is often driven by personal expression and interpretation, science is more focused on empirical evidence and objective truth. Additionally, art tends to be more subjective and open to interpretation, while science strives for objectivity and reproducibility. However, both disciplines involve creativity and curiosity in their own ways.

4. Why do some people view art and science as incompatible?

Some people view art and science as incompatible due to their perceived differences in goals and methods. For example, some may argue that science is too rigid and analytical to allow for artistic expression, while others may believe that art is too subjective and emotional to be considered a valid form of inquiry. There may also be a lack of understanding or appreciation for the ways in which art and science can intersect and complement each other.

5. How can we bridge the gap between art and science?

To bridge the gap between art and science, it is important to recognize and respect the unique strengths and perspectives of each discipline. This can involve encouraging interdisciplinary collaborations and promoting a more holistic approach to understanding the world. Additionally, promoting education and appreciation for both art and science can help to break down barriers and foster a better understanding of their similarities and differences.