Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are Computer Keyboards Dishwasher Safe?

1. Jun 14, 2007 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11029793
    Not only do we have geeks, but we have lemming geeks. :rofl:

Actually, for those who spill beverages or spew liquids on keyboards, there is hope.

It works 9 ft underwater in a chlorinated swimming pool! :biggrin:

http://sealshield.com/

The world's first DISHWASHER SAFE keyboard and mouse. Now you can truly clean and disinfect your keyboard!

http://sealshield.com/news.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2007 #2
    I whish I could put my laptop in a dishwasher.

4. Jun 14, 2007 #3
    This has made me so happy. I think I'm going to cry.

5. Jun 14, 2007 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My laptop's so bad I think I'll do it anyway :rofl:

6. Jun 14, 2007 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't cry over your computer unless you're sure its keyboard is dishwasher safe.

7. Jun 14, 2007 #6

russ_watters

The answer to the question is yes, though it probably depends on the keyboard. I've had The Best Keyboard Ever Made for about 12 years now and I occasionally disassemble it and wash all the parts in my diswasher except for the plastic printed circuit sheet, which I just wipe off with a wet paper towel.

8. Jun 14, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Yes - most or all the keyboard suppliers recommend wiping the keyboard with a damp cloth, and certainly one can use a disinfectant on the cloth, but don't spray liquid on the keyboard.

9. Jun 14, 2007 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. This is the best method to clean your keyboard. Everything but the circuit board can go in the dishwasher.

The problem is the people that hear half the story and stick their assembled keyboard in the dishwasher. It probably will still work if you disassemble it and dry it off completely before trying to use it again, but then, if a person were smart enough to do that, they probably would have disassembled it before they put it in the dishwasher.

10. Jun 14, 2007 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ironically: Years ago while in College I did time working for a company that mass produced circuit boards. First we did the hand work, then they went through the auto insertion, QC, QC, solder wave tank, and then... the dishwasher.

The solder flux is water soluable.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  11. Jun 14, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always just cleaned the keys with cotton swabs and alcohol. Cleans and disinfects, and then evaporates quickly so it isn't too long before it's safe to plug back in.

12. Jun 15, 2007 #11
    Anybody have a white macbook? I've seen those get pretty gross, which is why I've been hesitating to buy one. Do they clean easily if one takes the time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?