Are Computer Keyboards Dishwasher Safe?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, some people recommend throwing your keyboard in the dishwasher to clean it. This is a crazy idea, but some people advocate it because their keyboard is dirty. There are ways to clean a keyboard without putting it in the dishwasher.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11029793
Morning Edition, June 14, 2007 · Studies show that computer keyboards have more bacteria than toilet seats. But it's hard to clean all those keys. So some people advocate an extreme solution: Throw your keyboard in your dishwasher.

At first glance, this seems insane. But the computer-keyboard-in-the-dishwasher advice is all over the Internet. And don't we wish it were true? My keyboard is an old Hewlett Packard that's encrusted with a kind of mysterious black grime. I thought, "Well, why not try my KitchenAid?'"

I ran the experiment one night. I put the keyboard on the top rack, cord and all, key-side down. I used a little soap, and hit "normal wash." (I didn't want to pots 'n' pans it.)

I was encouraged to do this by Scott Moschella, a computer guy who runs a blog called Plastic Bugs.

"I think now when you type 'keyboard' and 'dishwasher' into Google, my site comes up as one of the first results," Moschella says. "Clearly, you know, all it takes is one geek to do something stupid, and you've got a whole bunch of lemmings who are willing to jump off a cliff with you."
Not only do we have geeks, but we have lemming geeks. :rofl:

Actually, for those who spill beverages or spew liquids on keyboards, there is hope.

A few companies do. In fact, a Florida company called Seal Shield makes keyboards that are "dishwasher safe." It says so right on the box.
It works 9 ft underwater in a chlorinated swimming pool! :biggrin:

http://sealshield.com/

The world's first DISHWASHER SAFE keyboard and mouse. Now you can truly clean and disinfect your keyboard!

http://sealshield.com/news.htm

Computer science news on Phys.org
I whish I could put my laptop in a dishwasher.

This has made me so happy. I think I'm going to cry.

Four said:
I whish I could put my laptop in a dishwasher.

My laptop's so bad I think I'll do it anyway :rofl:

Smurf said:
This has made me so happy. I think I'm going to cry.

Don't cry over your computer unless you're sure its keyboard is dishwasher safe.

The answer to the question is yes, though it probably depends on the keyboard. I've had The Best Keyboard Ever Made for about 12 years now and I occasionally disassemble it and wash all the parts in my diswasher except for the plastic printed circuit sheet, which I just wipe off with a wet paper towel.

russ_watters said:
The answer to the question is yes, though it probably depends on the keyboard. I've had The Best Keyboard Ever Made for about 12 years now and I occasionally disassemble it and wash all the parts in my diswasher except for the plastic printed circuit sheet, which I just wipe off with a wet paper towel.
Yes - most or all the keyboard suppliers recommend wiping the keyboard with a damp cloth, and certainly one can use a disinfectant on the cloth, but don't spray liquid on the keyboard.

russ_watters said:

Yes. This is the best method to clean your keyboard. Everything but the circuit board can go in the dishwasher.

The problem is the people that hear half the story and stick their assembled keyboard in the dishwasher. It probably will still work if you disassemble it and dry it off completely before trying to use it again, but then, if a person were smart enough to do that, they probably would have disassembled it before they put it in the dishwasher.

Ironically: Years ago while in College I did time working for a company that mass produced circuit boards. First we did the hand work, then they went through the auto insertion, QC, QC, solder wave tank, and then... the dishwasher.

The solder flux is water soluable.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Yes - most or all the keyboard suppliers recommend wiping the keyboard with a damp cloth, and certainly one can use a disinfectant on the cloth, but don't spray liquid on the keyboard.

I always just cleaned the keys with cotton swabs and alcohol. Cleans and disinfects, and then evaporates quickly so it isn't too long before it's safe to plug back in.

Anybody have a white macbook? I've seen those get pretty gross, which is why I've been hesitating to buy one. Do they clean easily if one takes the time?

1. Can I put my computer keyboard in the dishwasher?

It is not recommended to put your computer keyboard in the dishwasher. The high heat and water can damage the internal components and cause the keyboard to malfunction.

2. How do I clean my computer keyboard?

The best way to clean your computer keyboard is to use compressed air to remove any dust or debris, and then gently wipe the keys with a damp cloth. Avoid using harsh cleaning products or submerging the keyboard in water.

3. Are there any keyboards that are dishwasher safe?

While there may be some keyboards that claim to be dishwasher safe, it is generally not recommended to put any electronic device in the dishwasher. It is always best to follow the manufacturer's cleaning instructions for your specific keyboard.

4. Can I remove the keys from my keyboard and put them in the dishwasher?

Removing the keys from your keyboard and putting them in the dishwasher is not recommended. This can cause damage to the keys and may also result in them not functioning properly when reattached to the keyboard.

5. Is it safe to use disinfectant wipes on my keyboard?

Disinfectant wipes can be used on your keyboard, but it is important to check the ingredients and make sure they are safe for use on electronics. Avoid using wipes that contain bleach or other harsh chemicals, as these can damage your keyboard.