Are continous Spectra actually discrete?

In summary: In fact, if you look at a plot of energy versus frequency, you will see a characteristic curve that has a peak at the threshold frequency, and then falls off as the frequency gets higher.
Rohan Patil
If we assume that there is a fixed charged particle and another charged particle is spiraling down towards it, it emits electromagnetic waves as it is accelerated motion. We get a continuous spectrum. Now, if I allow the emitted photons to fall on a very photosensitive material, whose efficiency is known, then i can get photo electrons for those photons whose frequency is beyond threshold frequency. By knowing the current, i can know the number of electrons and from number of electrons, i can calculate the number of incident photons by dividing the number of electrons by efficiency. As photons have a unique frequency, i can determine the number of frequencies the photon can assume between the range in which it can make an electron come out. So this means that i am getting discrete values. But the spectrum is continuous everywhere. So, that's my question. Where am I making a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "continuous spectrum" statement relates to a vast number of photons taken together. If you plot enough of their energies, you will get a smooth curve. But as you say, each photon on its own is just a data point in that plot with a distinct frequency and energy.

Likes Rohan Patil
I meant that if the spectrum is continuous, then I can get an infinite number of photons in any range of frequency. Let the frequencies in this range be more that the threshold frequency. As photoelectric effect is one photon one electron phenomenon, i must get infinite number of photo electrons (we make sure that the photo sensitive material remains neutral.) Also efficiency cannot be zero. So zero x infinity thing doesn't work. So that is where the problem is.

Continuous spectrum does not mean that at any given time, all frequencies are present. That would indeed mean infinite number of photons, which obviously isn't true.
Continuous here means that the photons that *do* get emitted can have any frequency in that spectrum.

Likes Rohan Patil and nasu
So actually the spectrum that I get from a charge spiraling inward is a line spectrum with the lines very close to each other. Will this solution work out?

Rohan Patil said:
So actually the spectrum that I get from a charge spiraling inward is a line spectrum with the lines very close to each other. Will this solution work out?

You'll get a finite number of photons but I wouldn't call this a "line spectrum" with the lines very close to one another. To me that implies a line spectrum implies spectral lines at certain energies, such as the spectral emission lines of a gases. If you were to perform this experiment over and over you would get photons of all frequencies from some lower range to some upper range.

Likes Rohan Patil

1. What is a continuous spectrum?

A continuous spectrum is a type of electromagnetic spectrum that consists of an unbroken sequence of wavelengths or frequencies, with no gaps or interruptions. It includes all the visible colors of light as well as invisible wavelengths such as infrared and ultraviolet.

2. How is a continuous spectrum different from a discrete spectrum?

A discrete spectrum is characterized by distinct, separate lines or bands of wavelengths or frequencies, with gaps in between. This type of spectrum is typically produced by elements or molecules and can be used to identify the composition of a substance.

3. Are continuous spectra actually discrete?

No, continuous spectra are not actually discrete. While they may appear to be composed of individual lines or bands, they are actually a continuous distribution of wavelengths or frequencies. This is due to the limitations of our measurement tools and the fact that energy is emitted and absorbed in discrete units called photons.

4. What causes the appearance of a continuous spectrum?

A continuous spectrum is produced when a hot, dense object emits light. The atoms in the object are excited and emit photons of different wavelengths, resulting in a continuous range of wavelengths. This can be seen in the glow of a light bulb or the colors of a rainbow.

5. Why is understanding continuous spectra important in science?

Continuous spectra are important because they provide information about the composition and temperature of objects in the universe. They are used in fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics to study the properties of stars, planets, and other celestial bodies. Understanding continuous spectra also helps us to better understand the nature of light and the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.