Are Dogs or Cats More Closely Related: DNA, Fossil Record, and Behavior

  • Thread starter Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Behavior Dna Dogs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
snoopies622
Messages
852
Reaction score
29
Are people more closely related to dogs or to cats? Based on behavior I would guess dogs, but what does the DNA say? What about the fossil record? Anybody know?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Historically, dogs would have been more useful than cats. You have all sorts of breeds of working dogs. At best, cats would have been food. Also, I believe dogs were domesticated first when we were hunters.
 
Thank you, but the intention of my question was not about the history of interaction between humans and dogs versus humans and cats, but about evolutionary history and the genetic similarity of the three species. In the sense that humans are more closely related to chimps than we are to jellyfish, are we biologically closer to dogs or to cats? I understand that at this point the answer may be unknown.