1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are drag coefficients negative?

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find an equation describing a body in free-fall in air. This is not really homework. I'm in a differential equations class write now, and I have fun finding real world applications for such things.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]m\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}} = B\frac{dy}{dt}-mg[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Rewriting the above:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}} - \frac{b}{m}\frac{dy}{dt} = -g[/tex]

The corresponding homogeneous equation is:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}} - \frac{b}{m}\frac{dy}{dt} = 0[/tex]

Two solutions to the homogeneous equations are:

[tex]y_{1} = C_{1}[/tex] and [tex]y_{2} = C_{2}e^{\frac{b}{m}t}[/tex]

And as a particular solution:

[tex]y_{p} = \frac{gm}{b}t[/tex]

Therefore by the superposition principle, we have a general equation as follows:

[tex]y(t) = y_{1}(t) + y_{2}(t) + y_{p}(t) = C_{1} + C_{2}e^{\frac{b}{m}t} + \frac{gm}{b}t[/tex]

So here's where my question arises. I believe my assumption (the initial differential equation) should be a reasonable approximation of the real world. And I plugged my solution into the original differential equation. I seem to have answered it correctly. If both of these assumptions are true, then this equation doesn't make sense. It asserts that we are falling up! The only we I can think that this equation can still hold is if B were negative. I think after that, everything should make sense. Is this a correct assumption, or did I just make a mistake in the mathematics above?

Thanks in advance for your time and any help.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

The drag force is [tex]- B\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex] since it is always opposite to th emotion (where B is assumed to be a positive constant).
    Your particular solution is incorrect, it should be proportional to t^2
    (and of course, if you set B=0 you should recover the usual free fall equation)
  4. Feb 29, 2008 #3
    Sorry for the confusion, I'm using g as 9.8 rather than -9.8. I should have clarified. But I believe that should clear up the confusion with the drag force sign. Basically I set the drag force to be positive whereas the gravitational force is negative.

I'm not sure why my particular solution does not work.

[tex]\frac{d^{2}y_{p}}{dt^{2}} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy_{p}}{dt} = \frac{gm}{b}[/tex]

Plugging this into the original differential equation I have

[tex]-\frac{b}{m}\frac{gm}{b} = -g[/tex] which seems to be what I need. I must be missing something.
  5. Feb 29, 2008 #4

But it does not matter whether you use +9.8 or -9.8 (i.e. whether your y axis points upward or downward) because the drag force is always opposite to the motion so no matter what your choice is for your direction of the y axis, the force will be -B dy/dt
  6. Feb 29, 2008 #5
    Ahh, yes! How could I have missed that.

Thanks a lot. That clears up a lot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?