Are glands in human made of muscles?

• Thread starter Aafia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: Endocrine_glandIn summary, glands are not made of muscles and smooth and striated muscle tissue is not part of a gland. Secretions are not squeezed out of glands, but rather are stored and then released by muscle contractions. Skunks, for example, have glands near the anus that store and release a horrible smelling fluid through a muscle wall. However, not all glands have this mechanism and some, like endocrine glands, secrete directly into the blood without muscle tissue. In general, glands are not composed of muscle tissue and muscle contractions are not responsible for secreting substances from glands.
Aafia
Is it true that glands made of muscles and these are the muscles which squeezes out secretion from the glands?

Biology news on Phys.org
No. Smooth and striated muscle tissue is not part of a gland. Secretions do not get squeezed out
of glands. Skunks secrete a horrible smelling fluid from glands near the anus. It is stored in pouches with a muscle wall around them. Contraction of the muscle wall squirts out the fluid. Skunks have pretty good aim BTW.

Example: In some contexts you could consider your stomach as secreting HCl or digestive enzymes. But it is not a gland. And it does not squeeze out secretions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomach

Where did you read this? It is really very hard to give decent answers to questions like yours without context.

What I mean: Please give us a sample of the text that led you to ask the question. Thanks.

jim mcnamara said:
No. Smooth and striated muscle tissue is not part of a gland. Secretions do not get squeezed out
of glands. Skunks secrete a horrible smelling fluid from glands near the anus. It is stored in pouches with a muscle wall around them. Contraction of the muscle wall squirts out the fluid. Skunks have pretty good aim BTW.

Example: In some contexts you could consider your stomach as secreting HCl or digestive enzymes. But it is not a gland. And it does not squeeze out secretions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomach

Where did you read this? It is really very hard to give decent answers to questions like yours without context.

What I mean: Please give us a sample of the text that led you to ask the question. Thanks.
I have read it in my biology book grade 12th in Support and movement chapter. There it is written that " Muscles move eye lid , tongue, beat the heart, popel food through gut, discharge wastes, squeeze out secretion from the glands etc" I just wanted to know whether this is true, if yes then how? BTW this book is not available on any site.

Okay. The skunk example I gave is what they are referring to. Which is not a common thing. Glands (endocrine glands ) are not muscle tissue, they are a special kind of tissue derived from the nervous system . Exocrine glands which contribute to digestion also are not generally encased in muscle.

Sometimes the excretions are stored in secondary "containers" or bags that have muscle tissue. Not all glands are like this. Endocrine glands like the thyroid gland or the adrenal glands or the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas, secrete directly into blood. The pancreas is thought of as an exocrine gland because most of the secretions go into the duodenum - digestive enzymes. But the Islets have a direct connection to the blood - for glucagon and insulin. In both cases for the pancreas, no muscle tissue is there.

Now you see why I was confused. The book in fact gives a somewhat odd take on glands, and I do not think they meant it like that. External to the gland - muscle contractions do move excretions along. Glands are not muscle tissue.

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
Okay. The skunk example I gave is what they are referring to. Which is not a common thing. Glands (endocrine glands ) are not muscle tissue, they are a special kind of tissue derived from the nervous system or contribute to digestion. Exocrine glands also are not generally encased in muscle.

Sometimes the excretions are stored in secondary "containers" or bags that have muscle tissue. Not all glands are like this. Endocrine glands like the thyroid gland or the adrenal glands or the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas, secrete directly into blood. The pancreas is thought of as an exocrine gland because most of the secretions go into the duodenum - digestive enzymes. But the Islets have a direct connection to the blood - for glucagon and insulin. In both cases for the pancreas, no muscle tissue is there.

Now you see why I was confused. The book in fact gives a somewhat odd take on glands, and I do not think they meant it like that. External to the gland - muscle contractions do move excretions along. Glands are not muscle tissue.
They might refer to lymphatic system. Because any secretion from cells does not happen directly to blood but it first secreted into tissue fluid and then into lymph vessels whose walls are muscular. These lymph vessels return the tissue fluid back to blood vessels along with secretion. Is that right?

Yes. In any case the statement in the book will cause confusion.

jim mcnamara said:
Yes. In any case the statement in the book will cause confusion.
Yeah but I have to admit this as it is in my book. But there is not much detail of endocrine glands on any site that how they secrete hormones and what is the anatomy of these glands. Thank you for your help

Aafia said:
I have read it in my biology book grade 12th in Support and movement chapter. There it is written that " Muscles move eye lid , tongue, beat the heart, popel food through gut, discharge wastes, squeeze out secretion from the glands etc" I just wanted to know whether this is true, if yes then how? BTW this book is not available on any site.

Did you mean sphincter muscles?

Last edited:
Fervent Freyja said:
Did you mean sphincter muscles?
No this mentions about all types of muscles. Is there any sphincter in glands ?

No. Some of the mechanisms you have asked about are caused by sphincter muscles, not glands...

1. What are glands in the human body?

Glands are specialized organs in the human body that produce and secrete hormones, enzymes, and other substances that are essential for bodily functions.

2. Are all glands in the human body made of muscles?

No, not all glands in the human body are made of muscles. Glands can be made up of various types of cells, such as epithelial cells, which are responsible for producing and secreting substances.

3. Which glands in the human body are made of muscles?

The glands that are made of muscles are called muscular glands. These include the salivary glands, sweat glands, and mammary glands.

4. What is the function of muscular glands in the human body?

The function of muscular glands is to produce and secrete substances, such as saliva, sweat, and milk, that are essential for various bodily processes, such as digestion, temperature regulation, and lactation.

5. Can the muscles in glands contract and relax like other muscles in the body?

Yes, the muscles in glands can contract and relax, but their function is different from other muscles in the body. The muscles in glands help to push out the secretions produced by the gland, rather than providing movement or support to the body.