What's the average Body Composition by Volume?

In summary: So, treating a creature's skeletal muscle as if it were fat, and its fat tissue as if it were skeletal muscle, should get you pretty close to the real value.
Nanako
Hi. I'm trying to write some anatomical systems for a game I'm coding, and i need some good data to work from.
Our game is about dogs, not humans, but i figure a human will be close enough

What I'd really like is a case study of a specific organism, and i'd like to know the compositions, by volume, of the various types of matter in its body. Specifically I'm interested in: Muscle, bodyfat, bones, and etc (everything else can fit under one group as far as I'm concerned. Blood, organs, glands, etc)

I have some rough values that i found elsewhere for masses, that an average human is roughly 40% muscle, 20% fat, and 40% other matter, but these values in isolation aren't actually useful to me without some volume data.

My end goal is to calculate a reasonably accurate mass for a creature, given its volume, and the known densities and volume ratios of the aforementioned matter types. Volume is something i can find quite easily by examining the creature's mesh in code, so i have that value to a high precision.

Can anyone help out with some studies, websites, or general biological data?

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, a quick search is telling me that the volume of the average human body is 66.4 liters. 66.4 liters of water has a mass of 66.4 kg, which is 146.4 pounds. I'd say that treating your creatures as if they have the same density as water should get you pretty close to real value, and it's a lot easier to calculate than your method is.

Further searching supports the idea that the human body has approximately the same density of water, so I think treating your creatures as having the same density of water should work fine.

hi drakkith, that is pretty interesting, however it is a little TOO simple. I'm giving creatures variable anatomy (muscle.bodyfat levels) depending on factors like diet, and training. and i would really like to incorporate the difference between the density of fat and muscle in there. i'll keep water density in mind as a backup, but i would still hope to have some more specific data to work with.

What would be really great is if someone had done a reigorous body composition autopsy on an average human corpse, and tested all the indivudla components in mass and volume. Has such a thing ever been done? that would be invalueable/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is body composition by volume?

Body composition by volume refers to the proportion of different types of tissue, such as muscle, fat, and bone, that make up a person's body.

2. How is body composition by volume measured?

Body composition by volume is typically measured using specialized techniques such as dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA), or skinfold measurements.

3. What is considered a healthy body composition by volume?

The ideal body composition by volume varies depending on factors such as age, gender, and fitness level. However, in general, a healthy body composition for adults is around 15-20% body fat for males and 20-25% for females.

4. Can body composition by volume change over time?

Yes, body composition by volume can change over time due to factors such as changes in diet, exercise habits, and aging. Regular physical activity and a balanced diet can help maintain a healthy body composition.

5. Is body composition by volume more important than body weight?

Body composition by volume is generally considered a better indicator of overall health than body weight alone. A person may have a normal body weight but still have an unhealthy body composition with too much body fat and too little muscle mass.