Are Hawks Becoming the New Urban Predators in Rio?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Rach3
:eek:

Hawks attack more than 100 people in Rio


RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Residents of crime-plagued Rio de Janeiro have a new kind of predator to worry about — hawks. A pair of hawks have attacked more than 100 residents of the upscale Ipanema beach district over the past year, scratching peoples heads and faces, doormen working at buildings in the area said Monday.

"People leave the building carrying umbrellas to protect themselves from the attacks," said Luis Honorato, a doorman in a building near where the hawks have built a nest. "At first, they think that someone is throwing something, like a can, onto their heads from the floors above."
...
The O Globo newspaper reported that one woman lost part of her scalp to a hawk and another man mistook an attack for a stray bullet.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060918/ap_on_fe_st/brazil_hawk_attacks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
http://6ix4our.com/media/gonzo.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking out the kitchen window yesterday when a hawk or large owl took off from behind some trees on the left side of the property and flew quickly up into the trees on the right side. By the time I got out there it was gone. I think it may have had a rabbit (of which we have a lot these days).

It was most likely a red-tailed hawk (plenty in the area) or a great-horned owl. It move so fast I didn't get a good look at the head, but wing movement was more like an owl. I was also trying to see what it was carrying.
 
We have LOTS of hawks around here, so I hope only the Brazilian ones have gone berzerk. They are very large, powerful birds.