Are microcompact homes in your future?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.microcompacthome.com/pics/start_1.jpg [Broken]

The micro compact home [m-ch] is a lightweight compact dwelling for one or two people. Its compact dimensions of 2.6m cube adapt it to a variety of sites and circumstances, and its functioning spaces of sleeping, working / dining, cooking and hygiene make it suitable for everyday use...
http://www.microcompacthome.com/

The team of researchers and designers based in London and at the Technical University in Munich developed the m-ch as an answer to an increasing demand for short stay living for students, business people, sports and leisure use and for weekenders. The m-ch, now in use and available throughout Europe, combines techniques for high quality compact 'living' spaces deployed in aircraft, yachts, cars, and micro apartments...
http://www.microcompacthome.com/company/

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

wow, those are really 2.6 meters across,

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I hate to say it, but what I see is the potential future of low-income [permanent] housing.

It reminds me of something from science fiction - a post-apocalyptic world where people live in shipping containers.

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think those are called NYC apartments. :biggrin: Those "pods" in Japan remind me of kennels. Do you get a food dish and sipper bottle of water in them?

I don't think it would be feasible for someone to live in a space that small for a long time. It would have to be more like just a private bedroom, but associated with a community with community amenities and opportunities to socialize, exercise, etc. Or do they squeeze a human-sized hamster wheel into those little cubes?

The situation where I could see something like that being useful is to provide short-term housing for relief workers after a disaster or on a remote job site, where you're not really spending time in there, just need a space to eat and sleep. But then, trailers work just as well for that. If they aren't stackable, a trailer is just as good of a use of space, and when you don't need it in that location anymore, you just tow it away.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Oh, come on Moonbear, doesn't that look cozy?

My first thought was the same as yours: Why is this different than living in a trailer? Then I checked the price.

The quoted price is for a single unit and frame and does not include delivery, installation and connection to services, consultant’s fees and taxes. Subject to site conditions the inclusive guide price is EUR 50,000.
:bugeye: