Are my reasons to go for Masters wrong?

• Thread starter FAlonso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Masters
In summary, the individual is currently in their final semester of Mechanical Engineering and plans to pursue a masters degree immediately after graduation. They do not have any plans for a PhD in the future, but want to enter the foreign (specifically European) market, gain a higher understanding of engineering, and familiarize themselves with new procedures and techniques. They believe Germany is the best option due to its opportunities for mechanical engineers and low tuition fees, but are also considering other European countries such as France and the UK. They are open to being an entry level professional after their masters, but are unsure if they should take a break before pursuing their degree.
FAlonso
I am now in final semester of Mechanical Engineering and planning to do masters straightaway after my graduation. I do not have any plans of PhD in future but I mainly want to do masters (abroad) to:

- Enter foreign (European) market
- Gain a higher level understanding of things
- Familiarize with new procedures and techniques in engineering
- Would be hard to go for studies after 2,3 years of work

I do not have any problem with being an entry level professional after MS and being paid same as an undergrad. But in long run, am I doing the right thing or I should take a break before I go for masters.

I am targetting German universities for masters mainly believing Germany has opportunities for mechanical engineers due to its industrial activities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Only you can truly answer the question but to me your reasoning to continue your education to make you stand out from the crowd is sound.

Get your masters, your in the zone!

Sounds like a man with a good plan.

I wouldn't dismiss other European countries 'out of hand' though. For instance, France is definitely the place for Nuclear, and the UK is strong in aerospace...

Thanks all of you for your replies.

To me Germany appears more student friendly as their tuition fees are negligible. Living expenses are an issue but I hope to land some minor job to support them as well. France's ParisTech uni seems good in its courses too but I guess despite the programs being in English, knowledge of French before starting studies is must.

UK appealed to me a lot but its too expensive for me unfortunately.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters degree?

Pursuing a Masters degree can lead to a higher salary, increased job opportunities, and a deeper understanding of your field of study.

2. Will a Masters degree guarantee me a job?

No, a Masters degree does not guarantee a job, but it can make you a more competitive candidate and open up new opportunities.

3. Is it worth the financial investment to pursue a Masters degree?

It depends on your specific goals and financial situation. Consider the potential salary increase and job opportunities that a Masters degree can provide to determine if it is worth the investment for you.

4. Can I go back to school for a Masters degree after working for a few years?

Yes, many people choose to pursue a Masters degree after gaining some work experience. It can enhance your skills and make you a more valuable employee.

5. Are there any drawbacks to pursuing a Masters degree?

The main drawback is the financial investment and time commitment required. It is important to carefully consider if a Masters degree aligns with your goals and if you are willing to make the necessary sacrifices.