Are Numerical methods of any use for a physicist

In summary, the numerical methods offered in this elective are useful for a physicist. They can be used for solving problems in physics, and knowing about the algorithms is important.
kini.Amith
I am currently doing my bachelors in Mechanical engineering engineering and planning to pursue physics after completion. I have to choose an elective the coming semester. One of the electives offered is 'Numerical Methods for Engineers' and the modules covered include Error in numerical calculations, Solution of system of linear algebraic equations, Numerical differentiation and Boundary value problems.
Is this subject useful for a theoretical physicist? Can you mention any applications of numerical methods you have seen in your career as a physicist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you are a brainiac who can solve complicated equations in your head, you will need to know numerical methods, especially if your work involves the use of computers.

It would be better to ask "are analytical methods useful for a physicist?".
There are VERY few interesting problems that can be solved analytically; just about evertything is solved numerically if you are working on "real-world" problems (which even most theorists do).

Very useful. As a engineer/physicist the differential equations portion will probably of most use to you. As an example of what I have personally,seen (i am only an undergrad), I know a physicist who is working on solving the diffusion equation in cylindrical coordinates with an application to neurons and how they communicate. (I probably butchered this description but that is what I got out of his explanation).

Yes. Take the class.

But if you want to help your chances of acceptance into a good program then it helps to have at least one semester of quantum mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and statistical mechanics.

f95toli said:
It would be better to ask "are analytical methods useful for a physicist?".
There are VERY few interesting problems that can be solved analytically; just about everything is solved numerically if you are working on "real-world" problems (which even most theorists do).
I understand that everyone uses numerical methods through computer softwares and calculators etc. What I meant to ask was whether knowing the ALGORITHM's like Newton-Raphson method, Runge Kutta methods are of any use.

Yes, having at least some idea about how the algorithms work is a must if you are doing anything reasonably sophisticated, otherwise you e.g. won't know how to choose WHICH algorithm to choose for a certain problem (there are probably ten different ways of solving a time-dependent ODE in Matlab), nor will you be able to use the software efficiently. More importantly, you also need to know when NOT to trust the output (because e.g. the solution is not converging).
Moroeover, even sophisticated FEM software packages like Comsol require you to know a bit about meshing etc

Likes 2 people
Try solving just some very simple partial diff eqs by hand, look at a real world problem described by a partial diff eq after that, and then re-ask this question.

1. Are numerical methods necessary for a physicist?

Yes, numerical methods are essential for a physicist. They allow for the solving of complex mathematical equations and simulations that are impossible to solve analytically. Additionally, numerical methods provide a more accurate and precise approach to solving problems in physics.

2. What are some examples of numerical methods used in physics?

Some commonly used numerical methods in physics include finite difference methods, Monte Carlo simulations, and numerical integration techniques. These methods are used to solve differential equations, simulate physical systems, and calculate integrals, respectively.

3. Can numerical methods be used for all problems in physics?

No, numerical methods may not be suitable for every problem in physics. Some problems can still be solved analytically, while others may require more advanced numerical techniques. It is important for a physicist to determine the most appropriate method for each specific problem.

4. How reliable are numerical methods in physics?

Numerical methods are generally reliable in physics, but their accuracy depends on the precision of the calculations and the assumptions made in the model. It is important to validate the results of numerical methods and compare them to analytical solutions when possible.

5. How important is understanding numerical methods for a physicist?

Understanding numerical methods is crucial for a physicist. It allows for the accurate and efficient solving of complex problems that would be impossible to solve analytically. Additionally, having a strong foundation in numerical methods enables a physicist to develop and improve upon existing methods for solving problems in their field.