Are some car glasses more resistant to acid rain?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between two cars, a 2000 Honda CRV and a 2016 Subaru Forester, in terms of their susceptibility to acid rain marks on the windshield and side windows. The participants also mention the potential causes of these marks and suggest using Litmus Paper to determine if acid or alkali fallout is the cause.
lucas_
I have two cars, one an early 2000 Honda CRV and second one a 2016 Subaru Forester.

The Subaru Forester is prone to acid rain marks in the windshield and side windows and rear. But the CRV didn't seem to have obvious acid rain after more than 14 years parked in open air. Are some glass more resistant to acid rain marks?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, not a direct answer to your question, but here is some background info that may help.

If I recall correctly, hydrofluoric is one of the few acids that attacks glass. But if other things are not dissolving, it's probably not hydrofluoric acid.

However strong alkalis will attack most glasses. Even detergent for automatic dishwashers is strong enough to etch glass, that's why Sodium Silicate is added to them, to repair the pits. Sodium Silicate solution is also known as 'water glass.'

You could get some Litmus Paper (Ph test strips) to narrow down if there is acid or alkali fallout. The stuff is even available on Amazon.com in the USD $4 to $6 range.

(Now let's see if some real chemists come up with some real answers.:H)

Cheers,
Tom

What are acid rain marks?
and how do you know acid rain is the cause?
Is that a haze or spots on the glass.
It could be just hard water mineral deposits that are stuck to the glass and difficult to remove.

1. Are some car glasses more resistant to acid rain?

Yes, some car glasses are more resistant to acid rain than others. This is because of the type of glass used and the coatings applied to the glass surface.

2. How can I tell if my car glass is resistant to acid rain?

You can tell if your car glass is resistant to acid rain by looking for a coating or treatment on the surface of the glass. This can include hydrophobic or hydrophilic coatings, as well as ceramic or polymer coatings.

3. Can acid rain damage my car glass?

Yes, acid rain can damage car glass over time. The acidic components in the rain can cause etching or pitting on the surface of the glass, making it appear cloudy or hazy.

4. How can I protect my car glass from acid rain?

You can protect your car glass from acid rain by regularly washing and waxing your car. This will create a barrier between the glass and the acid rain, reducing the chances of damage. You can also consider applying a specialized coating or treatment to your car glass for added protection.

5. Can I fix acid rain damage on my car glass?

In some cases, acid rain damage on car glass can be fixed through polishing or resurfacing techniques. However, prevention is the best method for protecting your car glass from acid rain damage.