Are the eigenvectors of A and A^T related?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Leo321
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Eigenvectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Leo321
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
I have an (unknown) matrix A and with real non-negative values. I know its largest eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex] and the associated eigenvector, v. (I know nothing about the other eigenvectors). Does this give me any information about the eigenvector of AT associated with [tex]\lambda[/tex] or is it completely independent of v?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenvalues of A and A^T are the same. Consider the characteristic polynomial as the expansion of the determinant of A. The characteristic polynomials of A and A^T are identical so they have the same set of roots.

However you can't say anything about the left and right eigenvectors. For example let A =

2 1
3 0

Eigenvalues are 3 and -1
Correponding vectors are (1 1) and (1 -3)

A^T =
2 3
1 0

Eigenvalues are again 3 and -1
Corresponding eigenvectors are (3 1) and (1 -1)