Are the predoctoral research positions available for physics majors?

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter 12salsalover
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics Research
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
12salsalover
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I currently attend community college and i am majoring in physics with a concentration in astronomy and educational physics. I just want to know if i will be able to qualify for any predoctoral research positions once i get my bachelors in science that way i can get working experience in while I am in grad school.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
12salsalover said:
that way i can get working experience in while I am in grad school.

Graduate school is a lot more work than a full time job, and will provide plenty of working experience.
 
If you are in a phd program (not a masters) they will pay you to be a teaching assistant or research assistant, while giving you free tuition. The pay is usually around 15k for the 9 month academic year, and you only work 10-20 hours a week. Some schools actually require you to be a TA for a certain amount of time.
 
You can also apply for fellowships that will fund your time at grad school. Besides paying for tuition they also include a ~$30k/year stipend.