1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are the predoctoral research positions available for physics majors?

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    I currently attend community college and i am majoring in physics with a concentration in astronomy and educational physics. I just want to know if i will be able to qualify for any predoctoral research positions once i get my bachelors in science that way i can get working experience in while im in grad school.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Graduate school is a lot more work than a full time job, and will provide plenty of working experience.

4. Jul 26, 2011 #3
    I know but i gotta pay the rent somehow D:

5. Jul 26, 2011 #4
    If you are in a phd program (not a masters) they will pay you to be a teaching assistant or research assistant, while giving you free tuition. The pay is usually around 15k for the 9 month academic year, and you only work 10-20 hours a week. Some schools actually require you to be a TA for a certain amount of time.

6. Jul 26, 2011 #5
    You can also apply for fellowships that will fund your time at grad school. Besides paying for tuition they also include a ~$30k/year stipend.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook