Is a Physics BA a good route for exciting CS/Engineering Work?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Copar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major advice
Copar
Hello,

I'm a young student returning to college in my early 20s. I'm applying for bachelors programs in the US. I'm interested in a variety of fields, and I love to learn. I want to major in physics because of how broad and applied mathy it is, but I'm currently not interested in the time commitment of a PHD. I love to learn and would likely pursue a masters in electrical engineering, computer science, or materials engineering.

I would want to do research in industry. Developing algorithms, machine learning, corrosion control, nitinol, and semiconductors are all exciting subjects to me, in that they involve new science and advanced math.

Should I major in physics for my bachelors degree if I intend to pivot to one of the above listed subjects?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to be an engineer, I'd recommend majoring in engineering., You can always take physics classes, (Well, until you run out of time or money)

Likes DeBangis21, CalcNerd and symbolipoint
Welcome to PF.

Copar said:
I'm applying for bachelors programs in the US.
You should check with the colleges that you are applying to in order to find out at what point you need to declare your major. For me (at a University of California school back in the early 80's), you didn't have to fully declare until the end of your sophomore year. That let me take a mix of Engineering and Physics classes to help me understand which way I wanted to go. (In my case I loved Physics more but decided to go into HW/SW Engineering instead because of the job market at the time.)

Likes DeBangis21
Vanadium 50 said:
If you want to be an engineer, I'd recommend majoring in engineering., You can always take physics classes, (Well, until you run out of time or money)
^^This^^ OP: If you plan (at least for now) on pursuing a master's in engineering or computer science, then do your undergrad in engineering or computer science. That way, you'll ensure you can seamlessly apply for and progress to a master's in engineering or computer science. At most US universities, the undergrad program will allow for free electives. So if you're interested in physics and math beyond the courses required for your major, you can take them as free electives.

Side note. Your stated goal is "exciting CS/engineering" research in industry. Depending on the specific area you get into and depending on what you personally consider exciting, a master's in engineering or computer science may or may not be sufficient either. But of course, if you work in industry for a stint and find out it's not, then you have the option of returning for a PhD in engineering or computer science. When the time comes, you can decide whether it's worth it.

Likes DeBangis21