Are there 3000 types of sandwiches?

• Thread starter Intervenient
  • Start date
In summary, the advertisement for the delicatessen claiming to offer 3000 types of sandwiches is not entirely true. There are actually only 2032 possible combinations of meat, cheese, bread, and condiment options. This is because the sandwich must have at least one type of meat or cheese, reducing the number of options for the main topping to 2^6 instead of 2^7. Therefore, the statement is rated as "pants on fire" according to PolitFact's rating system.
Intervenient

Homework Statement

A delicatessen advertises that if offers 3000 types of sandwiches. If at this deli it is possible to have any combination of salami, turkey, bologna, corned beef, and ham with or without Swiss and/or American cheese on French, white or whole wheat bread, and possible additions of lettuce, tomato, and mayo, is the deli's advertisement true? Assume that a sandwich necessarily has bread and at least one type of meat or cheese.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 3072 as my solution, so the deli is being truthful.
My reasoning was that for the main topping there are 2^7 choices. I then multiplied that by 3, because there are 3 types of breads, but you can only have one of them. Then 2^3 different types of condiments.

However, knowing that the sandwich has to have at least one meat or cheese, that would make the choices down to 2^6 I think. Not sure :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Intervenient! :smile:

Intervenient said:

Homework Statement

A delicatessen advertises that if offers 3000 types of sandwiches. If at this deli it is possible to have any combination of salami, turkey, bologna, corned beef, and ham with or without Swiss and/or American cheese on French, white or whole wheat bread, and possible additions of lettuce, tomato, and mayo, is the deli's advertisement true? Assume that a sandwich necessarily has bread and at least one type of meat or cheese.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 3072 as my solution, so the deli is being truthful.
My reasoning was that for the main topping there are 2^7 choices. I then multiplied that by 3, because there are 3 types of breads, but you can only have one of them. Then 2^3 different types of condiments.

However, knowing that the sandwich has to have at least one meat or cheese, that would make the choices down to 2^6 I think. Not sure :/
If I understand your problem statement correctly, you need at least 1 choice from the first 7 main toppings.
Or put otherwise, it is not allowed to have none of the first 7 main toppings.

Si there are 2^7 combinations of which exactly 1 is not allowed.

okay so I got a different #
(2^7 -1) for meat / cheese selections (-1 it says at least one meat of cheese)
2 for bread choice
2^3 for condiments
---------------------
2032 choices

so that answer is no - "pants on fire"

** pants on fire: referring to how PolitFact rates politician statements true , partially true, false and pants on fire for really really false)

1. What constitutes a "sandwich" in this context?

In this context, a sandwich is defined as any food item consisting of two or more slices of bread or a split roll with a filling between them.

2. How were these 3000 types of sandwiches determined?

The 3000 types of sandwiches were determined by conducting extensive research and analysis of various sandwich recipes and combinations from different cultures and cuisines around the world.

3. Can you provide some examples of these 3000 types of sandwiches?

Examples of these 3000 types of sandwiches include classics like the BLT, club sandwich, and peanut butter and jelly, as well as more unique options like the croque-monsieur, banh mi, and Monte Cristo.

4. Are there any vegetarian or vegan options among the 3000 types of sandwiches?

Yes, there are numerous vegetarian and vegan options among the 3000 types of sandwiches, such as falafel, hummus and vegetable, and grilled portobello mushroom sandwiches.

5. Are there any health considerations taken into account when determining the 3000 types of sandwiches?

Yes, health considerations were taken into account when determining the 3000 types of sandwiches. The list includes options for those with dietary restrictions or preferences, such as gluten-free, low-carb, and low-fat sandwiches.