Are there 3000 types of sandwiches?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Intervenient
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Intervenient
Messages
48
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A delicatessen advertises that if offers 3000 types of sandwiches. If at this deli it is possible to have any combination of salami, turkey, bologna, corned beef, and ham with or without Swiss and/or American cheese on French, white or whole wheat bread, and possible additions of lettuce, tomato, and mayo, is the deli's advertisement true? Assume that a sandwich necessarily has bread and at least one type of meat or cheese.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I got 3072 as my solution, so the deli is being truthful.
My reasoning was that for the main topping there are 2^7 choices. I then multiplied that by 3, because there are 3 types of breads, but you can only have one of them. Then 2^3 different types of condiments.

However, knowing that the sandwich has to have at least one meat or cheese, that would make the choices down to 2^6 I think. Not sure :/
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Intervenient! :smile:

Intervenient said:

Homework Statement


A delicatessen advertises that if offers 3000 types of sandwiches. If at this deli it is possible to have any combination of salami, turkey, bologna, corned beef, and ham with or without Swiss and/or American cheese on French, white or whole wheat bread, and possible additions of lettuce, tomato, and mayo, is the deli's advertisement true? Assume that a sandwich necessarily has bread and at least one type of meat or cheese.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I got 3072 as my solution, so the deli is being truthful.
My reasoning was that for the main topping there are 2^7 choices. I then multiplied that by 3, because there are 3 types of breads, but you can only have one of them. Then 2^3 different types of condiments.

However, knowing that the sandwich has to have at least one meat or cheese, that would make the choices down to 2^6 I think. Not sure :/
If I understand your problem statement correctly, you need at least 1 choice from the first 7 main toppings.
Or put otherwise, it is not allowed to have none of the first 7 main toppings.

Si there are 2^7 combinations of which exactly 1 is not allowed.
 
okay so I got a different #
(2^7 -1) for meat / cheese selections (-1 it says at least one meat of cheese)
2 for bread choice
2^3 for condiments
---------------------
2032 choices

so that answer is no - "pants on fire"

** pants on fire: referring to how PolitFact rates politician statements true , partially true, false and pants on fire for really really false)