Are there any good groups about quantum computation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's fascination with quantum computation and their desire to pursue it as a career. They ask for suggestions on good groups, conferences, and periodicals to follow for recent research in quantum computation, and receive recommendations for Physical Review Letters, Science Daily, the International Centre for Theoretical Sciences, and the institute for quantum computing in Canada. They are also advised to determine their specific interests within the field before seeking further advice.
Haorong Wu
Hi. After learning quantum computation for months, it fascinates me. Quantum computation expands my view about computational methods. I believe that many future achievements can be obtained from quantum computing, especially the combination of AI and quantum computation. Meanwhile, I think quantum computation is a chanllenging field with strange approaches to computation. I would like to pursue in this field.

However, I have little information about the community of quantum computation. Could you name some good groups about quantum computation, including those outside US, because given the current trade war between China and US, I guess it would be harder to apply to schools in US. As I mention good groups, I mean those not top tier groups which I guess I can't compete with other applicants, and those groups having interesting ideas.

Also, could you suggest some conferences or periodicals I should follow to know the recent research in quantum computation?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haorong Wu said:
could you suggest some conferences or periodicals I should follow to know the recent research in quantum computation?
Keep an eye on Physical Review Letters. They often publish papers related to quantum computing, and some of them are open access. In addition, Science Daily often publishes news on such papers. If you subscribe to their newsletter, then you will get all the important stuff in your mailbox. If you find something interesting, go to the bottom of the page and you'll find the paper on which the article has been written.

Also, the International Centre for Theoretical Sciences, TIFR, Bangalore, India, often arranges workshops and seminars on quantum computation and quantum information. Here is a link to their YouTube page. If you go to the playlists, you might find something interesting.

In addition, if you get to read a paper on the specified subjects, go the reference section and see what papers have been mentioned there. In this way, you will get to know about journals that are specific to your field.

Wrichik Basu said:
Keep an eye on Physical Review Letters. They often publish papers related to quantum computing, and some of them are open access. In addition, Science Daily often publishes news on such papers. If you subscribe to their newsletter, then you will get all the important stuff in your mailbox. If you find something interesting, go to the bottom of the page and you'll find the paper on which the article has been written.

Also, the International Centre for Theoretical Sciences, TIFR, Bangalore, India, often arranges workshops and seminars on quantum computation and quantum information. Here is a link to their YouTube page. If you go to the playlists, you might find something interesting.

In addition, if you get to read a paper on the specified subjects, go the reference section and see what papers have been mentioned there. In this way, you will get to know about journals that are specific to your field.
Thanks, Wrichik Basu. I can't wait to try your advice.

Likes Wrichik Basu
The IQC (institute for quantum computing) in Canada has a lot of research groups. I'd check them out.

"Quantum computation" is a very big field. Are you interested in software (algorithms etc)? Or hardware?
If it is the latter what type(superconducting, trapped ion, topological or spin) ? Perhaps fabrication? Or even the EE aspects (FPGA programming, microwave engineering, feedback etc)?

Although there are places (like Waterloo) which cover many of these areas; there are -AFAIK- no place that does all of them.
Hence, you need to figure out what you are interested in before we can give you any meaningful advice.

Likes Haorong Wu and DrClaude
f95toli said:
"Quantum computation" is a very big field. Are you interested in software (algorithms etc)? Or hardware?
If it is the latter what type(superconducting, trapped ion, topological or spin) ? Perhaps fabrication? Or even the EE aspects (FPGA programming, microwave engineering, feedback etc)?

Although there are places (like Waterloo) which cover many of these areas; there are -AFAIK- no place that does all of them.
Hence, you need to figure out what you are interested in before we can give you any meaningful advice.
Thanks for your advice, f95toli.

I'm just getting familiar with this area, so I'm not sure which I prefer, software or hardware. I plan to first finish the textbook, then try to read as many papers as I can. I guess I can finally decide after that.

1. What is quantum computation?

Quantum computation is a field of study that combines principles from quantum mechanics and computer science to develop new methods for performing calculations and processing information.

2. How does quantum computation differ from classical computation?

Quantum computation uses quantum bits, or qubits, which can represent multiple states simultaneously, allowing for more efficient and complex calculations compared to classical bits which can only represent one state at a time.

3. Are there any practical applications for quantum computation?

Yes, quantum computation has the potential to greatly improve the speed and efficiency of tasks such as cryptography, optimization, and simulation of quantum systems. It also has applications in fields such as chemistry, finance, and artificial intelligence.

4. What are some challenges in the development of quantum computation?

One of the main challenges is the fragile nature of qubits, which can easily be affected by external factors and lead to errors in calculations. Another challenge is the difficulty in controlling and manipulating qubits, as they require highly specialized and expensive equipment.

5. Are there any good groups or communities for learning about quantum computation?

Yes, there are many online and in-person groups and communities dedicated to quantum computation, such as the Quantum Computing Stack Exchange, the Quantum Computing Discord server, and local meetups organized by universities or research institutions. These groups offer resources, discussions, and opportunities for collaboration and learning about quantum computation.