Are there any good viruses for human beings?

• Thread starter Jin S Zhang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, viruses can have beneficial effects on human beings. In the story "War of the Worlds" by HG Wells, viruses were depicted as defenders against alien attacks. Edward Jenner also discovered the use of a weaker virus to prevent smallpox, leading to the development of vaccinations. Viruses also play a role in spreading genes and may have been involved in the early stages of life on Earth. Additionally, viruses are used in gene therapy and bacteriophages can be used to treat bacterial infections. Mitochondria, responsible for energy production in cells, are thought to have evolved from viruses. Eukaryotes in general are believed to be a result of a merging of several prokaryotic species.
Jin S Zhang
As we all know, some bacteria are good and beneficial to human beings. How about viruses? Is there any good viruses that can be used for human beings?

Biology news on Phys.org

If one remembers the story by HG Wells, "War of the Worlds" Viruses are our defenders in case of an alien attack(let us hope that they don't bring small pox blankets)

here is another story of viruses doing good, and helping us make discoveries along the way. In 1796 Edward Jenner noticed that milk maids who caught the Cowpox did not ever get the deadly smallpox virus. He developed a a method to infect people with the more benign virus so as to not catch the smallox. We call this Vaccination today, and millions of lives have been saved by "weak" viruses, preventing other similar viruses(or those of a different strain)

A contentious "good" is biological warfare.

Lastly, viruses play a minor role in spreading genes around, and may have been part of the earlier stages of the development of life(quick note, I can not source this at all at the moment, but i do remember hearing it in a discussion a few years ago. so take this with a grain of salt) on earth, especially RNA viruses.

~socrunningman

Actually there are really many applications of viruses, like gene therapy or using bacteriophage to treat some bacterial infections is another potential use. Also the RNA virus enzyme - reverse transcriptase is used a lot in molecular biology to get DNA version of RNA.

Sheep need them and cannot reproduce without them. I don't know about humans.

Dunlap KA, Palmarini M, Varela M, Burghardt RC, Hayashi K, Farmer JL, Spencer TE. Endogenous retroviruses regulate periimplantation placental growth and differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Sep 26;103(39):14390-5. Epub 2006 Sep 15.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16980413

I've wondered about this myself..

Going by evolution logic, wouldn't it make more sense if a virus actually was beneficial to the body it lives in? That way the virus could be easily spread to other hosts over a longer period (since it would make the host live longer on average)...

Example: a virus that attacks harmful bacteria, then "idles" in the body.

These are all lower bound estimations.

Us humans are composed of about 10 trillion 'human' cells. There's more than 100 trillion bacteria in us as well. Bacteriologists love to see us in this manner. Furthermore, virologists love to see us as having over 1000 trillion viruses in our bodies.

Fact of the matter is, we are our own ecosystem. We need the bacteria to survive. Furthermore, we need the virus to survive as well. They play an extremely crucial role in maintaining the enviornment (human body or otherwise).

nuby said:
Going by evolution logic, wouldn't it make more sense if a virus actually was beneficial to the body it lives in? That way the virus could be easily spread to other hosts over a longer period (since it would make the host live longer on average)...

The energy in every cell in your body is generated by mitochondria. These are virus like bodies with their own DNA (actually RNA) that were originally viruses that infected the first cells. We (and all other animals) can't live without them and they do pretty well living off us.

mgb_phys- your statement about mitochondria being virus-like entities is only partly true, insomuch as they are slightly parasitic. Other than that, comparisons show that mitochondria are descendent from bacteria- namely, the alpha-proteobacteria (also the predecessors of chloroplasts in photosynthetic organisms).

As many have said, yes, viruses do play important roles in the human body, though not in the same manner as symbiotic bacteria ( e.g. e. coli producing vitamin k). It's is supposed by many evolutionary anthropologists that viruses, specifically retrovirus, which employ the enzyme RNA dependent DNA polymerase (reverse transcriptase), have been responsible for many of the translocations found in mammilian evolution. furthermore, several virus species are responsible for healthy bacterial growth, which, in turn, benefit the human host.

JonMoulton said:
Sheep need them and cannot reproduce without them. I don't know about humans.

Dunlap KA, Palmarini M, Varela M, Burghardt RC, Hayashi K, Farmer JL, Spencer TE. Endogenous retroviruses regulate periimplantation placental growth and differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Sep 26;103(39):14390-5. Epub 2006 Sep 15.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16980413

Wow! I actually know one of the authors of that study. I'll have to ask him about it. Though, be careful of stating that they can NOT reproduce without it. It might be that it helps, but is not required.

mgb_phys said:
The energy in every cell in your body is generated by mitochondria. These are virus like bodies with their own DNA (actually RNA) that were originally viruses that infected the first cells. We (and all other animals) can't live without them and they do pretty well living off us.

Cool. I wonder if any other components to the human body evolved from a virus or bacteria? White blood cells maybe?

It is possible that telomerase, the enzyme involved in extending the lifetime of cells and maintaining stem cells, evolved from viral enzymes since it's closest relatives are retroviral reverse transcriptase enzymes.

nuby said:
Cool. I wonder if any other components to the human body evolved from a virus or bacteria? White blood cells maybe?

It is supposed by many that eukaryotes in general are a conglomeration of several prokaryotic species. The general theory goes that, through endocytosis, various elements such as mitichondria (from proteobacteria), flagella [found on sperm] (from spirochetes), etc all hail from a meshing of many organisms. This theory allows the eukaryotic branch in the tree of life to form most easily. as you can imagine, it would be quite an extraordinary jump to go from prokaryotic- lacking organelles etc, to an organism with membrane bound organelles through simple mutation alone.

an example of this happening in real life is in the paramecium bursarii, which houses the algae chlorella so that the algae can provide oxygen for it. in turn, the paramecium protects the algae from predators and viruses. So in essence, this paramecium has a new "organ" per se that produces food for it, similar to the way our stomach takes nutrients from what we eat, and then breaks it down into useable glucose, salts, etc- this algae takes some of the inorganic Carbon (co2) and converts it to useable O2

There are somany viruses,which plays vital role in human health and environment.

1. Viruses can be used as vectors in Gene therapy.
2. Oncolytic viruses can be used in cancer treatement.
3. HERV-W, endogenous retrovirus assist in formation of trophoblastic cells in placenta formation.
4. Virus like particles in wasp act as immune compromisers in caterpiller to protect wasp eggs from caterpiller's immune system.
5. Viruses can be used in phage thearpy.

AhmdeRashd said:
There are somany viruses,which plays vital role in human health and environment... Oncolytic viruses can be used in cancer treatement.

Interesting article on this popped up on the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14730608

farful said:
These are all lower bound estimations.

Us humans are composed of about 10 trillion 'human' cells. There's more than 100 trillion bacteria in us as well. Bacteriologists love to see us in this manner. Furthermore, virologists love to see us as having over 1000 trillion viruses in our bodies.

Fact of the matter is, we are our own ecosystem. We need the bacteria to survive. Furthermore, we need the virus to survive as well. They play an extremely crucial role in maintaining the enviornment (human body or otherwise).

The bacteria figure is well known, but I find counter claims for viruses:

http://library.thinkquest.org/10607/gradyres.htm

Do you have a reference for your virus figure?

Last edited by a moderator:

PAllen said:
Do you have a reference for your virus figure?

Even if he had, it was two years ago :biggrin:

I think any of the posts mentioning using viruses for our own purposes are on the right track. It would be stupid to ignore the fact that nature has given us something that is able to deliver genetic material into a cell so easily (compared to what we have to do). I hope more people make use of viruses and bacteriophages and the like. and maybe even prions, although I don't see anything good in those.

Kinase said:
I think any of the posts mentioning using viruses for our own purposes are on the right track. It would be stupid to ignore the fact that nature has given us something that is able to deliver genetic material into a cell so easily (compared to what we have to do). I hope more people make use of viruses and bacteriophages and the like. and maybe even prions, although I don't see anything good in those.

One of the biggest reasons gene therapy never really took off in the same way that science fiction predicted in the 80s/90s is that nature had also given us some pretty complex defences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLR_3" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:

mgb_phys said:

1. I thought that mitochondria are more similar to bacteria than viruses. For example, mitochondria are thought to reproduce like bacteria (binary fission). Viruses do not reproduce this way.

2. Mitochondria contain DNA.

3. Some ATP is generated by glycolysis, which may occur in the human cytosol.

MisterX said:
1. I thought that mitochondria are more similar to bacteria than viruses. For example, mitochondria are thought to reproduce like bacteria (binary fission). Viruses do not reproduce this way.

2. Mitochondria contain DNA.
You are right, although this has been pointed before.

MisterX said:
3. Some ATP is generated by glycolysis, which may occur in the human cytosol.

But not sufficient for our body's needs.

Viruses in the family Reoviridae are pretty cool in stopping the immune-system in a wasps host for it's little larvae. I have been combing the internet for a while looking for beneficial viruses, and of course a parasite, this time a wasp, uses another parasite a known virus, for it's own nefarious procreational purposes.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022191004001441

This is a bit of a speculative answer rather than factual, but perhaps some viruses provide an immunity to more serious viral infections, in the way of Edward Jenner's discovery that cowpox provided some immunity to smallpox. I can't think of any other examples, though.

nuby said:
I've wondered about this myself..

Wouldn't it make sense if a human was actually beneficial to the environment it lived in?
I'm not sure we can rely on evolution to always create an equilibrium, I don't see why it couldn't lead to mass extinction.
Viruses aren't alive, I wonder if that makes a difference?

Example: a virus that attacks harmful bacteria, then "idles" in the body.

Herpes does this, it hides in the spinal cord for years, where it can't be attacked by the body because of the "blood-brain barrier". I guess loads of viruses do this but my textbook used herpes as an example because when you mention herpes everyone is interested.

Biophreak said:
The general theory goes that, through endocytosis, various elements such as mitichondria (from proteobacteria), flagella [found on sperm] (from spirochetes), etc all hail from a meshing of many organisms.

Our reproductive system (formation, mating, and cell-dividing of sex-cells) looks and works very similar to the same processes of coccidiosis, protozoan simple animals. Does that mean we have originally evolved from such organism, or have we borrowed this vehicle of mating through evolution?

This might be on the outskirts of this thread, but what came first, if not the egg?

To follow up on what Ryan m b said, gene therapy has had a lot of set backs. You have to think like this, you are using nature to do something it is not used to do. When a virus integrates its genes into yours, it doesn't care where the gene ends up or if destroys other genes. This was the same problem with the retroviral therapies, the gene ended up in the wrong place, you end up having bad cells turning worse becoming tumors.

1. Are there any viruses that can be beneficial for human beings?

Yes, there are some viruses that have been found to have potential benefits for human health. For example, some viruses have been used in gene therapy to treat genetic disorders, and others have been studied for their potential to fight cancer cells.

2. Can viruses be used as a treatment for diseases?

Yes, in some cases, viruses can be used as a treatment for diseases. This is known as virotherapy, and it involves using viruses to target and kill specific cells, such as cancer cells. However, this type of treatment is still being studied and is not yet widely available.

3. How do viruses affect the human body?

Viruses can have a range of effects on the human body, depending on the specific virus. Some viruses can cause mild symptoms, such as the common cold, while others can cause more severe illnesses, such as the flu or COVID-19. In some cases, viruses can also lead to long-term health consequences.

4. Are there any natural viruses that can help boost the immune system?

There is some evidence that certain viruses may be able to stimulate the immune system and potentially provide some protection against other viruses. For example, some researchers have suggested that exposure to certain viruses may help to prevent allergies and autoimmune diseases.

5. How can we protect ourselves from harmful viruses?

The best way to protect ourselves from harmful viruses is to practice good hygiene, such as washing our hands frequently and avoiding close contact with those who are sick. Additionally, getting vaccinated against viruses can also help to prevent their spread and protect our health.