Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there any metric spaces with no Cauchy sequences?

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    A metric space is considered complete if all Cauchy sequences converge within the metric space. I was just curious if you could have a case of a metric space that doesn't have any Cauchy sequences in it. Wouldn't it be complete by default?

When trying to think of a space with no cauchy sequences, I invision a space where points are sufficiently far apart from each other. Since all metric spaces are T1,T2,T3, and T4, I get the idea that you can "separate" points, and closed sets in general in a metric space. That's what made me think about a metric space where points are so far apart, that there are no cauchy sequences.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can always define Cauchy sequences by repeating a point : {p,p,....,p,.....} . In discrete (and other) spaces , only eventually-constant sequences converge. So the best is to say that sequences without repeated terms may not converge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook