Are there many simple math solutions left?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the current state of mathematical research and the types of problems that are considered elegant and solvable. The speakers mention that number theory is a good area for such problems, but most of the unsolved ones are still unsolved because there is no elegant proof. They also discuss the trend of focusing on specific cases and properties rather than advancing general concepts. Finally, one speaker mentions solving a problem involving musical keys, which they have now realized has a mathematical solution. They wonder who to tell and where to go to gain recognition for their discovery.
Loren Booda
What recent mathematical problems (compared to those from previous centuries) have been uncomplicated to state yet elegant to solve?

Is there a large number of such problems, or fields, unexplored?

Is mathematics becoming more arcane rather than purer?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
2: Number theory is a good place for uncomplicated-to-state problems eg, diophantine equations and Collatz conjecture; but most of the unsolved ones, I presume, are unsolved because there is no elegant proof.

3: It seems to me that current research focuses on properties of special cases of abstractions. For example, instead of advancing the general concept of group theory, you would research the properties of a special case of a group, like finite groups with special 2-generator property. (I'm not pretentious enough to act like I know what that means; it's just an example.)

I have solved a problem involving musical keys .I have just realized it is a Mathematical solution. There are no numbers involved though. Who should I tell? Where do I go to be famous.

Related to Are there many simple math solutions left?

1. Are there really many simple math solutions left?

Yes, there are still many simple math solutions left to be discovered. While some fundamental mathematical concepts and equations have already been established, there are always new areas of study and applications that can arise and lead to new solutions.

2. How do we know if a solution is considered simple in math?

A simple math solution is one that can be easily understood and explained using basic mathematical principles and operations. It is typically a solution that does not require complex or advanced calculations or techniques.

3. What kinds of problems can simple math solutions be used for?

Simple math solutions can be applied to a wide range of problems, including basic arithmetic, algebraic equations, geometry, and more. They can also be used in more complex fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Is it important to find simple math solutions?

Yes, simple math solutions are important because they provide a foundation for understanding and solving more complex problems. They also allow for more efficient and practical calculations and applications in various fields.

5. Can anyone find simple math solutions, or is it only for experts?

Anyone can find simple math solutions as long as they have a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and operations. While some solutions may require more advanced knowledge, many simple solutions can be discovered and understood by anyone with an interest in math.