Are these birds, planes or satellites, or meteors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lucas_
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Planes Satellites
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
66 replies · 7K views
Thread is closed for Moderation...
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Although this thread is now in "General Discussion" and the subject is inherently problematic, please try to remain as reasonable as possible and avoid speculations. The general difficulty with such topics is, that we rarely have sufficient information to claim anything sound.

Thread reopened.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Off the top of my head, I would say the video was computer generated/augmented.
But the maths are fun:

The video was taken at ≈9:23 pm, Moscow time.
The moon was 7.4° above the horizon.
The moon's direction was 134°, which puts it about half way between due south and due east.
The ufo's velocity relative to the moon was 49.4 km/sec, at an angle of -28.1° from horizontal, to the right.
The moons relative velocity to itself was 25.5 km/sec, at an angle of +22.5°, to the right. (±10%, as mentioned earlier)
Added together, I get a velocity of 67.6 km/sec @ 4°, to the right. Nearly horizontal.

The wind velocities that day over Moscow were fairly consistent. A couple of altitudes can be eliminated for balloons, I think.

2019.08.28.pf.moscow.moon.ufos.winds.png
Although none of the lines intersect,

ufo.line.speeds.dont.intersect.png

I think if one takes into account that this graph is only valid when the observer's position is perpendicular to the moon, vs the 7° mentioned earlier, then there could be instances where balloons could have been involved.

ps. Off the bottom of my head, I would say the video was computer generated/augmented.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
lucas_ said:
Dear experts,

What are these things (dozens of them):

Is it not incredible that a person happened to zoom in on the Moon (and film it) at the particular moment when UFOs (i.e. unidentified flying objects) were spotted? What a remarkable coincidence! It is so remarkable that I think the movie is fake, i.e. edited.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and weirdoguy
OmCheeto said:
But the maths are fun:
Nice analysis. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
DennisN said:
Nice analysis. :smile:
Thanks! Though, I've already found one error.
Added together, I get a velocity of 67.6 km/sec @ 4°, to the right. Nearly horizontal.​
Added together, I now get a velocity of 68.5 km/sec @ -11°, to the right.​

But as they say, you get what you pay for.

The last thing to do was correct wind speeds for distance and angles.
It looks as though the wind speeds gave one valid solution for balloons. Roughly 4300 meters.

2019.08.29.pf.ufo.wind.solns.png


Might also be birds. All the birds on this list fly above that: wiki: bird flight altitudes
Though I don't know much about them, and couldn't tell you which of those fly over Moscow, at night, during full moons, in May.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN