Are threads automatically locked if poster is banned?

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation on the Physics Forums website discussed a thread that was deemed funny and not offensive or against any rules. It was noted that a user with a line through their name is banned and threads are not locked automatically. Some members found the original post politically volatile, which may have violated posting guidelines. One member took responsibility for not including a note on why the thread was locked.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=299228 was quite funny and didn't seem to be offensive or against any rules.
Is the thread automatically locked if the user is removed - I assume the line through BarackZero's name means they are banned/blocked/deleted in some way ?

Physics news on Phys.org
A line through the name does mean a user is banned. Threads are not locked automatically.

This might just be a personal quirk, but I found the original post politically volatile. Not a problem for me, but it did seem to violate posting guidelines.

But there should be a note stating why the thread was locked.

That would be my fault. *Hides* :redface:

1. What does it mean for a thread to be locked?

When a thread is locked, it means that no one can post new comments or replies to the thread. Only the existing comments can be viewed.

2. Why would a thread be locked?

A thread may be locked for various reasons, such as violating forum rules, containing inappropriate content, or being inactive for a long period of time.

3. Can a thread be unlocked after being locked?

Yes, a thread can be unlocked by a moderator or administrator if the reason for locking it no longer applies.

4. What happens to the comments in a locked thread?

The comments in a locked thread will still be visible, but no new comments or replies can be added.

5. Is it possible for a locked thread to be deleted?

Yes, a locked thread can still be deleted by a moderator or administrator if necessary.