Are trig functions polynomial fuctions?

HA But in summary, the conversation discusses whether the given function is a polynomial or not, with the conclusion that it can be arranged as a quartic in cos(x) but not as a polynomial in x with finite degree.
zeion

Homework Statement

Is 3cos22x + cosx2 - 1 a polynomial function?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
zeion said:

Homework Statement

Is 3cos22x + cosx2 - 1 a polynomial function?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the definition of "a polynomial function"?

Well, this function can be arranged to a quartic in cos(x). As a polynomial in x, however, it's only a polynomial if you allow polynomials of infinite degree.

And so, the OP gets a free answer with no attempt at the solution and no indication that he even understands the question. :uhh:

stevenb said:
And so, the OP gets a free answer with no attempt at the solution and no indication that he even understands the question. :uhh:

Agh, my bad my bad. Think I should delete or has he already seen it?

Char. Limit said:
Agh, my bad my bad. Think I should delete or has he already seen it?

:wink: Well, it happened on your 1000th post, so you earned a get out of jail free card, and we have to let it go.

I already saw it HAHAHA

1. What is a trigonometric function?

A trigonometric function is a mathematical function that relates the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. The most commonly known trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. Are trigonometric functions always polynomial functions?

No, not all trigonometric functions are polynomial functions. Only the sine and cosine functions can be expressed as infinite polynomial series.

3. What is the difference between a polynomial and a trigonometric function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical expression made up of variables, coefficients, and exponents, while a trigonometric function involves the use of angles and ratios to represent a relationship between sides of a triangle.

4. How are trigonometric functions used in science?

Trigonometric functions are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, such as waves and oscillations.

5. Can trigonometric functions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, trigonometric functions can be used to solve real-world problems that involve angles and triangles. They are commonly used in navigation, surveying, and architecture, among other applications.