How to Solve a Polynomial Function with Complex Zeros?

In summary: Could you specify the problem?In summary, the problem is asking to solve the polynomial function ##x^4 + x^3 + 2x^2 + 2x + 4 = 0##, knowing that it has at least one complex zero whose real part is equal to its complex part. However, it seems that this is not possible as the expanded polynomial does not have any roots with equal real and imaginary parts. It is possible that the given polynomial is incorrect and the real part of the last term should be 2x instead of 4.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

Given the polynomial function ##x^4+x^3+2x^2+4=0## solve it if you know that it has at least one complex zero whose real part equals the complex part.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
My guess is that if this function has one complex zero it must have a conjugate complex zero as well so we need to find those and two more. I am not sure how to start except realising that ##P(b-bi)=P(b+bi)=0## but solving the equation for that seems a lot of work and I am sure there's an easir way. Should i use Viet's formulas or some other way to approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
doktorwho said:

Homework Statement

Given the polynomial function ##x^4+x^3+2x^2+4=0## solve it if you know that it has at least one complex zero whose real part equals the complex part.

Homework Equations

My guess is that if this function has one complex zero it must have a conjugate complex zero as well so we need to find those and two more. I am not sure how to start except realising that ##P(b-bi)=P(b+bi)=0## but solving the equation for that seems a lot of work and I am sure there's an easir way. Should i use Viet's formulas or some other way to approach this?
I haven't worked this problem, but here are my thoughts. If x = b + bi is a solution (implying that x = b - bi is also a solution), what will be the effect of the x3 term? Will it be possible for ##x^4 + x^3 + 2x^2## to be equal to the pure real number -4?

I was going to say State what you understand by 'Real part equals the complex part' which, I don't know, sounded slightly loose language to me, but what I understood is what doktorwho has said. It is telling you something special about one quadratic factor of the polynomial.

And there is also something else a bit special about the coefficients, and hence the roots. So lay that out and you have a few things you can may be put together (I also haven't worked the problem).

Mark44 said:
I haven't worked this problem, but here are my thoughts. If x = b + bi is a solution (implying that x = b - bi is also a solution), what will be the effect of the x3 term? Will it be possible for ##x^4 + x^3 + 2x^2## to be equal to the pure real number -4?

epenguin said:
I was going to say State what you understand by 'Real part equals the complex part' which, I don't know, sounded slightly loose language to me, but what I understood is what doktorwho has said. It is telling you something special about one quadratic factor of the polynomial.

And there is also something else a bit special about the coefficients, and hence the roots. So lay that out and you have a few things you can may be put together (I also haven't worked the problem).
It seems that the other two zeros are complex as well. So we have some ##a+zi## and ##a-zi## as zeros.
##P(x)=(a+zi)(a-zi)(b+bi)(b-bi)##
##P(x)=2b^2 (a^2 + z^2)##
Doesnt seem right..
I can also write it in this form but doesn't seem to give any ideas..
##(x^2 + x + 2) x^2 + 4 = 0##

doktorwho said:
It seems that the other two zeros are complex as well. So we have some ##a+zi## and ##a-zi## as zeros.
##P(x)=(a+zi)(a-zi)(b+bi)(b-bi)##
You didn't follow up on the question I asked, which is, in essence, "Is it possible for b + bi to be a solution?"
In your work above, you are tacitly assuming that both b + bi and b - bi are solutions.
doktorwho said:
##P(x)=2b^2 (a^2 + z^2)##
Doesnt seem right..
I can also write it in this form but doesn't seem to give any ideas..
##(x^2 + x + 2) x^2 + 4 = 0##
Factoring part of one side of an equation is no help.

Mark44 said:
You didn't follow up on the question I asked, which is, in essence, "Is it possible for b + bi to be a solution?"
In your work above, you are tacitly assuming that both b + bi and b - bi are solutions.

Factoring part of one side of an equation is no help.
It can't be equal to -4. Maybe there's some other methid I am not noticing.. Well if one complex zero has the two parts equal shouldn't (##b+bi##) be the right way to state that?

doktorwho said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I think the problem is wrong: it is impossible to have a root of the form ##x = a + i a## for real ##a##. It is true that one of the roots has a real part that is near the imaginary part, but they are not equal exactly.

You should be able to show this explicitly: expand out ##P(a + ia)## to find its real and imaginary parts. If you equate both of those parts to zero you will see that there is no solution for ##a##.

doktorwho said:

Homework Statement

Are you sure it isn't ##x^4+x^3+2x^2+2x+4=0##?

haruspex said:
Are you sure it isn't ##x^4+x^3+2x^2+2x+4=0##?

That does work.

Wolframalpha says that there are no roots with equal real and imaginary parts.

doktorwho said:
Assuming that the equation above is the correct equation (and not as surmised in post #8), the part "if you know that it has at least one complex zero whose real part equals the complex part." is clearly false, so no work is required.

I just got a response saying that it was a typo, ##2x## term should be included and then ##-1-i## and ##-1+i## are solutions and the rest can be gotten by dividing the polynomial by ##(x-(-1-i))*(x-(-1+1))##.

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical expression that consists of one or more terms, each of which is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. It can have multiple variables and can be written in the form of ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

2. How do you solve a polynomial function?

To solve a polynomial function, you need to find the values of the variables that satisfy the equation. This can be done by using techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the remainder and factor theorem. You can also use graphing or numerical methods to approximate the solutions.

3. What are the different types of polynomial functions?

The different types of polynomial functions are linear, quadratic, cubic, quartic, quintic, and so on, depending on the highest power of the variable present in the expression. A linear function has a degree of 1, a quadratic function has a degree of 2, and so on. A polynomial function with a degree of 0 is a constant function.

4. How many solutions can a polynomial function have?

The number of solutions a polynomial function can have depends on its degree. A polynomial function of degree n can have at most n distinct solutions. For example, a quadratic function can have a maximum of 2 solutions, a cubic function can have a maximum of 3 solutions, and so on.

5. Why is it important to solve polynomial functions?

Solving polynomial functions is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and statistics. It helps in finding the roots of equations, determining the behavior of a system, and making predictions based on data. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and is used in higher-level math courses.