1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[complex functions] polynomial roots in a convex hull

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone,

I've got this problem to solve:

My problem is that I don't fully understand the question.

I have found such definition of convex hull:
    So I do have to prove, that all the roots of [tex]W'(z)[/tex] [let's denote them as [tex]z'_k[/tex]] must be able to be written in such form:
    [tex]z'_k = \sum_{k=1}^n \beta_k z_k[/tex], where [tex]\beta_k[/tex] are satysfying the conditionsof convex hull and [tex]z_k[/tex] are the roots of [tex]W(z)[/tex].
    Am i right?

If so, I thought about this kind of sollution:
    we assume that what we have to prove is true, so we can write the roots of [tex]W'(z)[/tex] as:
    [tex]z'_j = \sum_{k=1}^n \beta_k^{(j)} z_k[/tex]
    Now we write down [tex]W'(z)[/tex] using viete's formulas:
    [tex]W'(z) = n a_n z^{n-1} - n a_n ( \sum_j \sum_k \beta_k^{(j)} z_k ) z^_{n-2} + n a_n \sum_{i<j} ( \sum_k \beta_k^{(i)} z_k ) ( \sum_k \beta_k^{(j)} z_k ) z^{n-3} - ... + n a_n \prod_j \sum_k \beta_k^{(j)} z_k[/tex] [dont know why the second part of the equation landed little higher that the first one, sorry for that]
    and compare it to the polynomial we get when multyplying [tex]W(z)[/tex] by [tex]\sum_k {1} / (z-z_k)[/tex]. What do you think of it? I've tried to do this, but the calculus grow pretty vast and I feel that there is a simplier method of proving this.

I would appreciate if you could tell me wheter I understand the question right and if my idea of solving it looks fine.

thanks for your time,
    rahl.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2
    I have found the solution. If no one deletes this thread, I will write how to solve it, maybe it will help someone some day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook