Are universe and big bang considered to be the same thing?

In summary, professionals use the term "universe" to refer to all of space, time, and matter within it. The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the evolution of the observable universe from an early hot, dense state to our present epoch. It does not describe the creation of the universe, but rather the evolution of it from an already existing state. The concept of a singularity, which is often associated with the Big Bang theory, is a mathematical model and not a description of what actually happened. Therefore, the answer to the question is yes, professionals do use the term "universe" to mean what was created in the Big Bang, but it is important to understand the distinction between the theory and the singularity.
Pjpic
Do professionals use the term universe to mean what was created in the big bang?

Space news on Phys.org
Pjpic said:
Do professionals use the term universe to mean what was created in the big bang?
The "universe" is all of space and time and all of the matter and contents within. The Big Bang is simply a theory that scientists believe explain how the universe is created.

Likes 1oldman2
Pjpic said:
Yes

ProfuselyQuarky said:
The "universe" is all of space and time and all of the matter and contents within. The Big Bang is simply a theory that scientists believe explain how the universe is created.
Uh, quarky, that's not right (It is a pop-sci point of view). The Big Bang Theory says NOTHING about how the universe was created. It is a description of how the universe has evolved from approximately one Plank time after the singularity up to the present. The singularity is not part of the Big Bang Theory because we don't know what it was physically.

EDIT: Actually, let me amend that statement. If by "the big bang" you mean "the big bang singularity" then yeah, I guess it's right to say that's what created the universe but the problem you run into is that people then conflate that with the belief that the Big Bang Theory describes the creation, which it does not. The "singularity" and the "theory" are radically different things and it's important to keep in mind that the big bang singularity was not an explosion; we don't know what it was, which is why it's called a singularity.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I would say that the universe is the (for lack of a better word) stuff, and the big bang describes how it's evolved. The universe would still exist if it didn't "bang." If the universe had not expanded, and instead collapsed in on itself, there would never have been a big bang, but there would still be a universe.

The Big Bang theory describes the evolution of the observable universe from an early hot, dense state to our present epoch.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
bapowell said:
The Big Bang theory describes the evolution of the observable universe from an early hot, dense state to our present epoch.
Good point, The Big Bang presumes nothing about the parts of the universe that we can't see.

phinds said:
Uh, quarky, that's not right
Yes, you're right. That's wrong. The fact that Big Bang Theory and Big Bang Singularity are so very similar (word-wise) always gets me. Sorry.

The answer to the OP is still yes, nonetheless.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
The answer to the OP is still yes, nonetheless.
Yes. Unambiguous question allows short answer. :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
timmdeeg said:
Haha, yes, that's true.

On the plus side, I got corrected on something, so this thread served its purpose. :smile:

Likes 1oldman2
timmdeeg said:
I disagree. When the short answer itself can lead to confusion, as it can in this case, then I think the longer answer is called for.

Likes 1oldman2
phinds said:
I disagree.
And I don't see your point. In my opinion, the question "Do professionals use the term universe to mean what was created in the big bang?" can be answered with yes or no.
Why leads the answer "yes" to confusion?

Last edited:
timmdeeg said:
And I don't see your point. In my opinion, the question "Do professionals use the term universe to mean what was created in the big bang?" can be answered with yes or no.
Why leads the answer "yes" to confusion?
Read post #4

phinds said:
Read post #4
Well post #4 is not an answer to the OP, it is commenting on something else.

timmdeeg said:
Well post #4 is not an answer to the OP, it is commenting on something else.
Jeez, fella, you asked what is potentially confusing and I answered you. It seems you are being argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative. That's MY job here :smile:

phinds said:
The Big Bang Theory ... is a description of how the universe has evolved from approximately one Plank time after the singularity up to the present.

This isn't quite right either. The Big Bang theory starts with the hot, dense, rapidly expanding state that existed at the end of inflation. That was not one Planck time after the singularity; in fact, we don't even know that "time after the singularity" has any meaning at all. The numbers that are quoted in pop science sources (and even in some of the literature) for "time after the singularity" refer to a mathematical model with no inflation that does not represent what anyone believes actually happened. But even if we accept those numbers as notional numbers, the "start time" of the standard hot Big Bang theory is not one Planck time after the singularity.

1. What is the definition of the universe?

The universe is defined as the entirety of all matter, energy, space, and time, including all planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies.

2. What is the big bang theory?

The big bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a tiny, infinitely dense and hot point, known as a singularity, approximately 13.8 billion years ago. This singularity expanded rapidly, creating all matter and energy in the universe.

3. Are the universe and the big bang the same thing?

No, the universe and the big bang are not the same thing. The big bang is a scientific theory that explains the origin and evolution of the universe, while the universe is the actual physical space that contains all matter and energy.

4. How does the big bang theory support the idea of an expanding universe?

The big bang theory explains that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. This expansion is supported by evidence such as the redshift of distant galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

5. What other theories exist besides the big bang to explain the origin of the universe?

There are several other theories that attempt to explain the origin of the universe, including the steady state theory, the oscillating universe theory, and the inflationary theory. However, the big bang theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported by scientific evidence.