Are We Ready for the New Definition of the Kilogram?

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gleem
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Messages
2,889
Reaction score
2,351
Today is the day the new definition of the Kilogram based on the Kibble balance (aka Watt balance) and Plank's constant takes affect.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: diogenesNY
Physics news on Phys.org
gleem, you beat me to the punch!

Let's all celebrate by going out an measuring something!

diogenesNY
 
I celebrated by going for a long walk this morning to try to shed one of my spare kilograms. :woot:

I suppose this means that the official kilogram cleaner at the BIPM in Paris is now out of a job. :cry:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Wrichik Basu
jtbell said:
I celebrated by going for a long walk this morning to try to shed one of my spare kilograms. :woot:

I suppose this means that the official kilogram cleaner at the BIPM in Paris is now out of a job. :cry:
I swam laps for a long time (3x15 minute intervals) with intervening soaks in a hot spa.

Contemplated measurement and data collection while watching the warm water mix with the deeper cold.