Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you a successful academic student? Do you manage your diet?

1. Yes, and I maintain a 3.2+ GPA

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, and I maintain a 2.5 - 3.19 GPA

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Yes, and I maintain lower than 2.49 GPA

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. No, and I maintain a 3.2+ GPA

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  5. No, and I maintain a 2.5 - 3.19 GPA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, and I maintain lower than 2.49 GPA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. This poll is stupid.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    Do you think there is a relation between superb eating habits and academic success? Try to share your magic "super-brain" food, whether it's scientifically proven or your superstition/placebo.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2
    You won't get solid results using the highest GPA marker as 3.2, especially on this site. 3.2s are incredibly common in the U.S., and you wouldn't really start seeing a correlation unless you boosted it up to at least 3.5.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What one person considers a healthy diet, another considers unhealthy. How many people are actually aware of what their body needs?

Some of my best years academically were on a diet of hard boiled eggs and black coffee, which landed me in a hospital suffering from malnutrition. But it was easy and fast, albeit damaging to my health.

5. Jan 25, 2009 #4
    ack.. I don't think you can edit a poll?

But anyways, Evo, literally just hard boiled eggs and coffee? :eek:

6. Jan 25, 2009 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do manage my diet, but I don't know how much of an effect it has on my grades. I do it more because of the sports I participate in.

Yes, Evo, wow! I second this question, just hardboiled eggs and coffee?! For how long?

7. Jan 31, 2009 #6

Mk

Is it possible for an intelligent person to inadvertadly kill themselves by starvation when having food everywhere you look?

8. Jan 31, 2009 #7
    No intelligent person would ever risk health for academics (or starve him/herself to death).

But in my case, if I have a problem to solve, I wouldn't eat until I have solved it or I am close to dead. I am stupid when it comes to maintaining good health but haven't been to hospital yet :)

9. Jan 31, 2009 #8
    Guess which poll option I chose!!

10. Jan 31, 2009 #9
    From my browser history:
    This poll is stupid. 0 0%

:rofl:

11. Jan 31, 2009 #10

Mk

I don't understand why you can't eat and think at the same time. :confused:

12. Feb 1, 2009 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you do that, though? How can you concentrate if you're hungry?

13. Feb 1, 2009 #12
    My GPA is only 2.4
    But I am confident, because I used to have the best online professor, she is still the best to me although she has been out of the job for years. It was really a pain for her. Now I understand it more when I see my situation
    "We have to do something to help him, this is something, we must do this" -- but what is "this" and who is "he" ? Is that called "help" after all ? :ROFL:

"Don't shame on yourself professor, Head up and be one you are!"

14. Feb 1, 2009 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A healthy thing to do is to consciously make decisions about the food you eat and determine to your best ability what is healthy for you to eat.

When it comes to healthy dieting, that is the most important. Knowledge comes second.

Most people just eat.

15. Feb 1, 2009 #14
    I should have said I forget about food or sleep not that I avoid food/sleep intentionally. I see the consequences once I get free time (for myself) to think about how hungry/concentrated I am. Otherwise if I don't question myself I can just keep on going for the short term (~12-16 hours) until I reach my limitations.

Some problems(at school) are just that interesting/challenging while others (at work) must be solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?