Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Did anyone watch "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" last night?

The woman that didn't know how many feet were in a yard? The question - When Timmy stands on Johnny's shoulders their combined height is 2 1/2 yards. How many feet is that?

Her answer after thinking about it quite a while - 352 feet, she wasn't sure that was right so she chose to use the fifth grader's answer of 78 feet. Was the host joking about this contestant having been home schooled? I didn't catch all of that part of her school background. She said she knew this was chemistry and her old chemistry tutor (I guess that helped home school her) would be angry about her missing the answer. :bugeye:

OY VEY!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That show really makes me want to shed tears for this country!!!!

The fact that the question, "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" is a serious question whose answer may be yes or no, is just sad!!!!

I don't know how you grow up in America and don't know how long a foot is. I thought it was obvious that the average height of an American is somewhere between 5-6 feet (she must know how tall she is right???), yet she thinks two fifth graders stacked on top of each other are 352ft tall?? Wow, sometimes I think FOX breeds their own subspecies of people for these shows!

4. Jun 15, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Yup, there are a lot of morons. But then again, maybe they're paying her to talk nonsence in order to make the show more "interesting". I mean, a part of the people will watch it again, just to see some other silly answer.

5. Jun 15, 2007 #4
    Timmy has 2 feet and Johnny has 2, too, so I'd say 4.

6. Jun 15, 2007 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, I guess we may be partly to blame for watching the stupid show!! If we didn't find it interesting FOX wouldn't air it.

7. Jun 15, 2007 #6

Evo

I'm into watching horror and I can't think of anything more horrifying than some of the answers given by contestants.

8. Jun 15, 2007 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wonder how some of the people on this show function in real life?? What can they possibly do for a living if they don't know this stuff?

9. Jun 15, 2007 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They do have one thing going for them: These are the people who elect the leader of the most powerful nation on Earth. Ouch.

10. Jun 15, 2007 #9

Evo

The host even gave her hints like "so, your saying the height of two boys is equal to the length of a football field?" I thought for sure that would snap her back into reality, no, that just made her think 78 feet was more realistic. :rofl:

11. Jun 15, 2007 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I first came across this show channel surfing. The host asked "Are all birds, mammals, yes or no?" The contestant said yes. At least the fifth grader said no in this case.

The show is like a train wreck. We have to watch the disaster unfold. The disaster, unfortunately, is our country.

12. Jun 15, 2007 #11

Evo

The question for the two identical twins - Where is Mount Everest located?

A) The Alps
    B) The Andes
    C) The Himalayas

They couldn't decide between the Alps or the Andes, so they went with the Alps.

13. Jun 15, 2007 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well one must say that shows like these are entirely rigged. They aren't going to let the smartest people on are they because that wouldn't be very entertaining. It would be interesting to see some properly recorded statistics on the subject.

I think there was a showin UK that was similar where they had a bunch of adults who complained that exams were getting easier to take a GCSE exam with their kids but I didn't watch it. No doubt they picked the parents that did the worst.

14. Jun 15, 2007 #13

-Job-

Science Advisor

I'm sure there is at least one 5th grader question you can't answer correctly, so stop "hypocritizing."

15. Jun 15, 2007 #14

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, working in the lab I'm in this summer, I've done some things that make me feel like an idiot. The people on this show make me feel like a genius, it it evens out!

16. Jun 15, 2007 #15
    I'm no smarter than I was when I was a 5th grader, just more experienced.

17. Jun 15, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can understand some wrong answers when nervous because you're being watched and on TV, such as the one about Mt. Everest...that's one of those details that you really never need to know unless you're planning to travel there, so I can understand it escaping the brain of an adult, especially when nervous. But, the example in the OP is more disturbing, and really gets at the lack of common sense that is becoming so prevalent. I could see someone making a minor arithmetical mistake there that they come up with 9 feet or 6 1/2 feet or something like that, but to not have any sense of something commonly used all the time, that of yards and feet, that they don't even notice the ridiculousness of an answer like 352 ft or 78 ft, that's scary.

18. Jun 15, 2007 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know where Mount Everest is. :frown:
    Thank goodnesss for Google.

19. Jun 15, 2007 #18
    That show makes me want to commit suicide

20. Jun 15, 2007 #19

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Imagine how the contestants must feel when they loose!!!:eek:

21. Jun 15, 2007 #20

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't either - never really had to know where it was. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?