Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you with it

1. Mar 15, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Do you follow the trends of the day in clothing and keeping up with the music of the day, Follow the latest food trends.?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2016 #2

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Nope. I don't follow any of that stuff. It's rather shallow.

4. Mar 15, 2016 #3
    No, not really.

This is the first time I hear about "food trends". I didn't even know that was a thing. :confused:

5. Mar 15, 2016 #4

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh there sure is! Ever heard of Yummly? That's like social media for food. And then you have all those food bloggers who think that they're so healthy . . .

6. Mar 15, 2016 #5
    Oh, what a nice sight. Although I'm more attracted to the site design than the content. It's kind of nice how they put the Nutrition Facts and make it interactive according to the number of Servings the user inputs.
    :DD

7. Mar 15, 2016 #6
    I set my own trends. OH, BTW, so not with it.

8. Mar 15, 2016 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wooly, I don't even know what it is.

(I do listen to new music though. For nearly every song I have ever heard, I can only listen to it N times, after which I simply can't stand it. Most of the time N is less than 20. This forces me to seek new music constantly.)

9. Mar 16, 2016 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Hi Lisab, long time no hear from, i can listen to certain tunes over and over, the Beatles, Stones, Meatloaf etc etc, what about clothes do you keep up with trend or are you stuck with jeans and comfortable clothes?

10. Mar 16, 2016 #9

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Glad you like it! I'm quite fond of Yummly, too. Tell me, @Psinter, have you ever cooked anything with Himalayan pink salt or nutritional yeast? :wink:
    Well, this describes me perfectly . . .

11. Mar 16, 2016 #10
    I'm not a cooker type and I rarely use salt on my foods so nope, I've never used Himalayan pink salt. The only salt I consume is already included on pre-made products. About yeast, I've never used any kind of yeast for anything. I don't even know what yeast can be used for. :frown:
    Sometimes I dress like in the Victorian Era. o0) Or like this: (for the sake of fun)
    feel_like_a_sir_in_hd_by_lemmino-d6023aa.png
    dacdd3e5249cdb1743be460358fbea67.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  12. Mar 16, 2016 #11
    Men often don't but women do. Gay people may have different views about these trends.
    I don't follow any personally.

13. Mar 16, 2016 #12

Dembadon

Gold Member

I've never payed attention to clothing or musical trends. I wear what I feel comfortable in, and I listen to music I find enjoyable. I'll never understand why anyone would do it differently. The only times I ever look up what to wear is if I'm going somewhere with a dress code and don't know whether or not I already own something that would be appropriate. I don't like shopping, especially to spend money unnecessarily.

For example, I received an invitation a few years ago that required "cocktail party" attire. I had no idea what that was, other than I knew it was fancier than what I usually wear (flannel long-sleeves with jeans). I had a few business suits, but I was told cocktails outfits are usually more casual than full suits. I Googled cocktail party outfits and got a general idea of what to look for and I ended up purchasing an entire outfit at a local thrift store for about $25. A business suit probably would have been fine, but I figured I'd try to live a little.
    :partytime:

Now, food trends? I Googled it and this was one of the first few links: http://www.bonappetit.com/trends/article/food-trends-2016

Yeah... I don't see myself paying attention to those anytime soon. That page looks like a word salad (no pun intended). I also get the feeling "food trends" involve a lot of pseudo-science and quackery. Or maybe I'm just not crunchy enough. :oldbiggrin:

14. Mar 17, 2016 #13
    I don't pay attention to fashion. I wear what feels comfortable. The only fashion accessory I wear are beaded earrings. Preferably handmade (I buy them, don't make them myself).
    In food, I read about the new trends to see if there is something interesting or sensible, but 90% of my food is local and seasonal. The only exception is exotic fruit which I love.
    With ingredients like pink salt or seaweed I find that the final result is not so good to excuse their high cost and energy needed to go to special health store :-)
    Yeast is a very common ingredient here used for baking and there is also a yeast spread that goes on bread. That's nothing exotic to me.

15. Mar 17, 2016 #14

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hee! That's a very dapper way to dress :biggrin:
    Yes, true. However, nutritional yeast is completely different. Vegans use it as a substitute to add cheese flavor to their dishes!

16. Mar 17, 2016 #15
    I see :-) I found that it is deactivated yeast. So it's it basically dried yeast or is there a difference between țhem?
    Are you a vegan PQ?

17. Mar 17, 2016 #16

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Deactivated yeast is yeast where all the fungi are dead, so I suppose there is a difference between the two, since active yeast is "dried", too. Technically, I’m a vegetarian since I'll eat cheese and dairy products upon very special occasion, but everything that we cook at home is vegan :smile:

18. Mar 17, 2016 #17
    That's cool! I used to be a vegetarian for 3 years. And I used to go to a vegan buffet from time to time when I lived in the Czech rep. It's amazing that vegan pastries can be so delicious :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted