Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area command in Matlab or Mathematica or Maple

Tags:
  1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I would like to know if there is a command in Matlab or Mathematica or Maple, which shows the area of a closed curve.
    For example, find the area enclosed by a circle, x^2+y^2=1.
    I wish I could use a command like "SOME_AREA_COMMAND[x^2+y^2=1]" and it can give me the answer Pi.

I know I can use integral, but sometimes it is difficult to find the joint points.

Thank you all. :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

Hepth

Gold Member

For Mathematica:

region = x^2 + y^2 < 1 && x > 0;
    RegionPlot[region, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}]
    Integrate[If[region, 1, 0], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}]

is for a half circle. so long as its bounded i believe this will work for all regions that you want without finding the limits of curves.

So long as you can write this as a boolean of a closed function (being inside or out) this should work.

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3
    I agree with Hepth's reply, except that it's preferable to use Boole[] or Piecewise[] for algebra/symbolics and keep If[] for programming constructs. They former are better integrated into the Integrate function and run faster (about 10 times faster on my machine)

Integrate[Boole[region], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}]

Integrate[Piecewise[{{1, region}}, 0], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook