Area of region inside both r = 2 and r = 4sin(θ)

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
shamieh
Messages
538
Reaction score
0
Find the area of the region which is inside both$$ r = 2$$ and $$r = 4sin(\theta)$$How do I set up this? would I do..

$$\int ^{2\pi}_0 \frac{1}{2} [ r ] ^2 dr$$ ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, shamieh!

Obviously, you didn't make a sketch . . .

Find the area of the region which is inside both
[tex]r = 2[/tex] and [tex]r = 4\sin\theta[/tex]
Code:
               4|
              * * *
          *     |     *
        *       |       *
       *        |        *
                |
      *        2|         *
      *       * * *       *
      *   *:::::|:::::*   *
        *:::::::|:::::::*
       *::::::::|::::::::*
        *:::::::|:::::::*
      *   *:::::|:::::*   *
  - - * - - - * * * - - - * - -
      *         |         *2
                |
       *        |        *
        *       |       *
          *     |     *
              * * *
                |
[tex]r = 2\,\text{ is a circle with center at }(0,0)\text{ and radius 2.}[/tex]
[tex]r =4\sin\theta\,\text{ is a circle, center at }(0,2)\text{ and radius 2.}[/tex]
. . [I'm speaking in rectangular coordinates, obviously.]

The circles intersect at [tex]\theta = \tfrac{\pi}{6},\:\tfrac{5\pi}{6}[/tex]

Due to the symmetry, we can find the area of the right half
. . then multiply by 2.The area of the right half is:

. . [tex]\tfrac{1}{2}\int^{\frac{\pi}{6}}_0\!\! (4\sin\theta)^2d\theta \,+\, \tfrac{1}{2}\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{\frac{\pi}{6}}\!\!(2^2)\,d\theta[/tex]

Got it?
 
I ended up with $$A = -\sqrt{3}$$ now do I need to multiply it by 2 since it's symmetrical? to get $$A =-2\sqrt{3}$$?
 
After setting up my integral properly I ended up with : $$A = \frac{8\pi}{3} + 2$$ is that what you got?