Arithmetic Progression: Find Common Difference with Given First Term and Ratio

In summary, the first term of an arithmetic progression is -8 and the ratio of the 7th term to the 9th term is 5:8. To find the common difference, we can use the formula tn = a + (n-1)d, where tn is the nth term, a is the first term, and d is the common difference. However, the lack of effort in the provided attempt at a solution makes it difficult to provide further guidance. It is recommended to start a new thread and provide a more detailed attempt at solving the problem.
osirvics

Homework Statement

The first term of an a.p is -8, the ratio of the 7th term to the 9th term is 5:8. what is the common difference of the progression?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried... it confuses me. Can anyone give me some hints or tips...?

Physics news on Phys.org
osirvics said:

Homework Statement

The first term of an a.p is -8, the ratio of the 7th term to the 9th term is 5:8. what is the common difference of the progression?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried... it confuses me. Can anyone give me some hints or tips...?
Hello osirvics. Welcome to PF !

In the future, you need to show your attempt at a solution.

Do you know a general formula for the nth term in an arithmetic progression ? What is that formula?

Likes osirvics
Okay, thanks.
Yes, tn = a + (n – 1) d.
but i don't know how to implement it. this statement "the ratio of the 7th term to the 9th term is 5:8" is confusing me.

Thread has been locked for your not showing any effort. Please start a new thread and fill out your Attempt at a Solution part of the HH Template. Thank you.

Likes SammyS

1. What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression, also known as an arithmetic sequence, is a sequence of numbers where the difference between any two consecutive terms is constant. This constant difference is called the common difference, and it can be positive, negative, or zero.

2. How do you find the common difference in an arithmetic progression?

To find the common difference in an arithmetic progression, you subtract any term in the sequence from its preceding term. This difference will be constant throughout the sequence.

3. What is the formula for the nth term in an arithmetic progression?

The formula for the nth term in an arithmetic progression is: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, n is the term number, and d is the common difference.

4. How do you find the sum of an arithmetic progression?

The sum of an arithmetic progression can be found using the formula: Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the nth term.

5. How is an arithmetic progression used in real life?

Arithmetic progressions are used in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating interest rates, predicting population growth, and determining depreciation of assets. They are also used in computer programming and data analysis, where a series of numbers needs to be generated or analyzed.