Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Army to Launch Probe Into Tillman Death

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/04/AR2006030400860.html
    It's been two years why they just starting to lanuch a crimnal investegation?
    I don't watch football.But I'am kind of intersted to see what if it was propous what was the motive.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's because he was famous as a football player that they are investigating at all. Some unknown fellow who was gunned downed by his buddies by accident would never get investrigated.

4. Mar 5, 2006 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Every "friendly-fire" incident gets investigated, of course, SA. The article says this is the fifth investigation of this incident. That may be more than other incidents get investigated (I don't know), but it is certainly false to claim that others don't get investigated at all.

5. Mar 5, 2006 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Russ, I used to be a weather officer at a TAC base. Occasionally the pilots would prang in. There was always an investgation, and the result was foregone: if the pilot survived the cause was "unknown mechanical failure", and if the pilot was killed it was "pilot error".

The required incident investigation form will be filed, of course, and if nobody takes up the case, that's where it ends.

6. Mar 5, 2006 #5
    Pat Tillman, what a "g".

I salute you Pat Tillman

7. Mar 6, 2006 #6
    They all get investigated, but not all of them get a criminal investigation.

8. Mar 6, 2006 #7
    A waste of time. It's unfortunate that it happened but that is the risk every soldier is aware of. I'm sure that all the men who survived that ordeal feel horribly about it.

9. Mar 6, 2006 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Plane crashes and friendly fire are two different things. In a plane crash, you don't always really want/need/care to know why - in a friendly fire incident, someone always does. A google finds information on dozens of separate incidents.
    True.

10. Mar 6, 2006 #9
    I certainly hope it's a waste of time. That's the best possible outcome in my mind. Even though his statement isn't strictly correct factually, I agree with SA's sentiment on the matter. I don't think a criminal investigation would be happening for your average Joe Private who gets killed by friendly fire. I think Tillman was famous enough that politicians started poking their noses into it. Unfortunately, in those sorts of circumstances, it's all to common for the military to find a convenient scapegoat to pin it on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?