Arrow of time and its reversal on a IBM quantum computer

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
andrew s 1905
Messages
238
Reaction score
95
I would like to know what the implications of this paper are https://arxiv.org/abs/1712.10057.

They say " Here we show that, while in nature the complex conjugation needed for time reversal is exponentially improbable, one can design a quantum algorithm that includes complex conjugation and thus reverses a given quantum state."

Is this true time reversal does the arrow of time reverse at least in the simulation?

Regards Andrew
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I often reverse the arrow of time using the rewind button on my TV remote control!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Demystifier and DrClaude
PeroK said:
I often reverse the arrow of time using the rewind button on my TV remote control!
Such godlike powers were not meant for mere mortals.
 
Ok thanks I see it was not as profound as claimed.
Just for the record I I have a simulation of a perpetual pendulum running on my computer. Seems the paper is in this class of achievement albeit on a quantum computer.

Thanks again Andrew
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier and PeroK