Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Art and Craft of Problem Solving

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I've recently gotten hold of this book, "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving", by Paul Zeitz. I have heard many recommondations for it, and think it is fantastic.

I want to read it the most effective way. Have any of you read it? How did you do it, or do you have any tips on how to read such a book? The book says that I shouldn't read it linearly, but jump to different chapters at wish. But I'd really like a system to follow.

- Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2
    Have you ever seen a body builder who uses machines vs a body builder who lifts free weights?

The one who has sculpted their body with a machine which follows strict movement is rigidly defined, almost predictable and perhaps has more endurance for specific tasks...

The brain is a muscle... don't think that math and problem solving are related in any way what-so-ever... problem solving involves organic thought... not a system of rules...

I think this book may be more beneficial than you think...

If this post was an inside math joke I apologize... I'm new here... and my math skills suck...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?