Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Articles with dozens or hundreds of authors

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I am looking for examples of peer reviewed, published articles in scholarly journals which have many, many authors and/or signatories. I am involved in a different field, but have read that research articles and response letters in the field of physics may, at times, have dozens or hundreds of authors.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at experimental particle physics, especially.

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks. I will try and find some of those articles.

I have read that there is an article in physics with 632 authors. Does anyone know the reference for this?

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There are papers with thousands of authors. Do what Ben said.

6. Jan 29, 2012 #5
    Thanks. I don't know this field at all, but have been going through Physical Review Letters and can't find any of these articles with hundreds or thousands of authors. What I am looking for is how a peer reviewed journal publishes an article with so many authors. Do they list everyone's name? Credentials? Do they list only a lead author's or contact author's name and credentials?

7. Jan 29, 2012 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

8. Jan 29, 2012 #7
  9. Jan 29, 2012 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Note that in experimental particle physics, it's the custom to list all the participants in an experiment in alphabetical order, regardless of their status. The "lead author", Abazov, was probably a graduate student. I was in that position myself when I was a graduate student, in a much smaller collaboration, about forty people.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook