Articles with dozens or hundreds of authors

  • Thread starter Thread starter Charles Van
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Articles Authors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Charles Van
Hi all,

I am looking for examples of peer reviewed, published articles in scholarly journals which have many, many authors and/or signatories. I am involved in a different field, but have read that research articles and response letters in the field of physics may, at times, have dozens or hundreds of authors.

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. I will try and find some of those articles.

I have read that there is an article in physics with 632 authors. Does anyone know the reference for this?
 
There are papers with thousands of authors. Do what Ben said.
 
Thanks. I don't know this field at all, but have been going through Physical Review Letters and can't find any of these articles with hundreds or thousands of authors. What I am looking for is how a peer reviewed journal publishes an article with so many authors. Do they list everyone's name? Credentials? Do they list only a lead author's or contact author's name and credentials?
 
Note that in experimental particle physics, it's the custom to list all the participants in an experiment in alphabetical order, regardless of their status. The "lead author", Abazov, was probably a graduate student. I was in that position myself when I was a graduate student, in a much smaller collaboration, about forty people.